62 Lancer work

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
this is not meant to be a real resto thread, but just showing a little of what I have done with the Toad. one of 5 early A bodies I piddle with as time and $$ allows. I drug it home bout this time last year. it has been on the back burner as I worked on other early a bodies. I work in a dirt floor shed, that is open now on one end basically. when I paint, I wet the floor, and put up tarp on part of open end or work when no wind or coming from the "right" area. my goal is to get rid of all rust, protect the repairs and bare metal with epoxy primer, smooth sheetmetal for driver quality. I topcoat with single stage urethane. i'm not into car shows. if the body is real straight to begin with, I can do pretty decent job considering painting in shed with dust and wind!
this road toad is a 2 door post, 3 on tree, 170 slant. like I said, this is not a resto thread as I am terrible bout taking pics of everything! maybe this can give some ideas and incentive to those of us now $$$ endowed!? Ha it had some rust around mainly one rear wheel well, P O had patched some floor metal and truck ext on one side. it looks like it was partially original paint, and the rest what appears like years ago, someone shoot some latex!!????? Ha I D a's the original paint, and used aircraft stripper on the "latex?" and a few places impossible to get the d a at.
I spent probably 2 1/2 days with the d a and the nasty stripper. I hate stripper! where there was surface rust pitting, I treat with Ospho, ($ 10 a gt) a phosphoric acid product. you have to be careful that it fully dries and what you apply over it, but overall I love the stuff. I have years back used similar type product from Dupont but is stupid expensive. I covered the bare metal with a DTM epoxy, then combo of high build urethane and polyester primers, I will use epoxy with reducer for a sealer and go right back over that with the single stage urethane. car was originally white and I will go back with that.
p o had applied undercoating to the rockers and front valance, why don't know perfectly solid.

I did some repair to rear frame rails I will show later.

also I will add later some some pics of the rest of the herd.

Attachments

• 100_1711.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 109
  • 100_1713.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 100_1714.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 100_1715.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 100_1717.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 100_1719.jpg