'62 Valiant, door pushbutton inoperative

-

MOPARoldtimer

Banned
Reaction score
I've got my interior door trim off, and don't see any linkages that aren't attached. When you push on the button, it apparently moves the linkage some, but not enough to trigger the latch. At least I think that's what it's doing.

The inside door handle works fine.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:razz:

Let me guess, drivers door? Have had that happen on a couple a-bodys, just replaced them with a junkyard piece and it then worked fine. This was back in the day when junk yards had a-bodies, though.

No, it's the passenger-side door.

Here's an update: I removed the interior door panel and took the car to a shop of a locksmith who has repaired auto door locks for me in the past. He observed the latch's operation carefully and diagnosed it as a problem with the lock assembly itself. So today I removed the window regulator, the remote control assembly and the lock. Tonight I'm soaking the lock assembly in mineral spirits to clean it up, and tomorrow I'll take it back to the locksmith for a diagnosis. I'll let you know more when I find out.

It turned out not to be the latch mechanism, after all.

It was simply that the linkage connecting the pushbutton to the latch was too short. It was fairly easy to remove it (it pops right off) and lengthen it by bending. This linkage is made from flat stock, not rod.

The pushbutton on the passenger-side rear door hadn't been working for awhile, but unlike the front it was not because the pushbutton linkage was too short. Instead, the lock assembly was sticking. You have to remove the window regulator and interior handle linkage and then block the window up in order to get the lock assembly out. Nor was the window regulator mechanism working very well, and the interior remote lock assembly was stuck. I cleaned and lubed everything and got the lock assembly working. I also had to re-fasten the garnish molding because it had been sticking out too far and the window had been rubbing on it.

Confucius say: removal of door latch and window regulator first time real pain in the butt to figure out. Second door much easier than first. Third and fourth doors real easy.

-
Back