625 AVS leakage

-

OlDuster

Reaction score
I've been gone for a while and have not posted for a year. It is time to start working on my '68 Dart 340 Tudor.

My Old Carter is leaking again. It was rebuilt 4 years ago. After it sets for a couple of days, the gas is all evaporated out of the bowl. I am wondering where the gas is leaking? I had it apart several times because of a miss. (bad coil wire!)

I am thinking of getting a new 650 AVS to replace the old carb. I put one on my Duster 360 and it ran sooo good!

With the price of fuel going up I do not need to have it leaking fuel! Anyone have any ideas on what is causing the carb to leak? Where is the leak?

Its a comman problem. Fuel just disapears in to thing air from there bowls.

2 quick cures.

1 Holley
2 Electric fuel pump. (let it run for a few seconds before starting the car)

I think it is leaking out of the bowl. I never had this problem with the new 650 AVS I put on my Duster. I could let it set a week and it would fire right up. I have to use starting fluid whenever I try and start it after a couple of days. I noticed gas running out of the carb and evaporating. I do think there is a problem with it. It is a stock A-Body so I really do not want to hide an electric pump on it. I can if I need to but I do not want to, OK?

You may be right, but my money is on evaporation. The fuel formula was changed a year or two ago, and the ethanol or oxygenation additives make the fuel evaporate very fast. It's for better atomization and emissions. Holleys have a bowl where all the fuel for the jets and accelerator pumps comes from the bottom of the bowl. Carters and edelbrocks have the jets on the floor, but the accelerator pump is a little higher than the floor of the bowl. So the level drops as the fuel evaporates faster, and you are left having to crank the engine a few times before any fuel reaches the accelerator pump and meterring circuits. An electric pump will fill the carb before you turn the key. My truck w/a thermoquad does it when you dont drive it for a few days. I dont mine cranking it a little, then hit the gas twice.

I will take a look at the Carter and see if there is a gasket that is bad or missing or a crack in the housing. I think there is a leak but I am not sure. It runs great, however.

-
Back