625-CFM Street Demon? aka TQ....

-

Cudafever

Reaction score
Any body Seen the article in Car Crafts, Sep issue?
Looks a lot like a Thurmo Quad with AFB style metering rods?
I though Demon only did holley type carbs?

Holley bought Demon out.They rereleased the old stuff,along with these.Nice street rod/musclecar type carb.

I'm waitin on others to be the guinea pig on this. I wanna see if Demon cleaned its act up.

Holley bought Demon out? When did this go down?

Holley bought Demon out? When did this go down?

Barry Grant went under a few years back now (?). The guy lost everything from what I remember. There was a big thread on here at the time. Holley came in after its reorganization and bought the name, tooling and whatever and is just bringing it back on the market.

I knew BG went you but it is the "when did Holley pick it up" that has me going.

I knew BG went you but it is the "when did Holley pick it up" that has me going.

Looks like this happened first....
http://www.hotrodandrestoration.com...tion-bg-fuel-system-brands-to-be-resurrected/

Then this... June 11, 2012

Monomoy Capital Partners Acquires High Performance Industries, Inc.
Acquisition Creates a New Platform for Monomoy

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Monomoy Capital Partners II, L.P. (“Monomoy”), a New York private equity fund focused on value investment and business improvement, announced today that it has acquired High Performance Industries, Inc. (“Holley”) through an affiliate. Financial terms of the transaction were not disclosed.
“We are thrilled with the opportunity to move forward with Monomoy. The partnership with Monomoy will provide us with the strategic capital and operational resources to increase Holley’s market share, introduce exciting new performance products, and grow earnings.”

X2.....not holding my breath on this one. It's a little too pretty to me:D.

x3 , they have some good looking carbs , just wondering what the quality is like . I'm holding out until there is some feedback . They do look like good replacements for the factory carters though .

Yeah, i was hoping someone had bought one.......Maby they aren't available yet.

I have a Holley inigrated fuel bowl spread bore carb, that replace my shot TQ......Holley really suck on 73 1/2 ton :angry4:

Looks like there's also a write up on the same carb in the summer Engine Masters.

I have a Holley inigrated fuel bowl spread bore carb, that replace my shot TQ......Holley really suck on 73 1/2 ton :angry4:[/QUOTE]

The Holley 650 spread bore, especially the vac. secondary carbs were some of the worst one's every produced. I think they came out with them as a GM Quadrajet replacement. Q-jet was better imo.

The Holley 650 spread bore, especially the vac. secondary carbs were some of the worst one's every produced. I think they came out with them as a GM Quadrajet replacement. Q-jet was better imo.

Yeah the Q-jet and TQ are the only carbs that are worth a tinker hoot for a off road, rough riding truck!

any on heard bad or good on this carb.

I think my son is going to take the chance when he get his income tax back.

I got one. I love it. i put it on in 30 degree weather and it started right up and idled by with out any help. some small adjustmens and i took it for a test ride. had to adjust the trap door for the seconarys and it was good much better than the holley ever was. they are comming out with a 750cfm soon.

I saw this the other day. Pretty interesting.

[ame]http://youtu.be/jN2xbt6Mzdc[/ame]

Quote By Chloros: {I got one. I love it. i put it on in 30 degree weather and it started right up and idled by with out any help. some small adjustmens and i took it for a test ride. had to adjust the trap door for the seconarys and it was good much better than the holley ever was. they are comming out with a 750cfm soon.}

Will a 70-71 340 air cleaner fit that Street Demon without a spacer?

I doubt it. Watch the video and he shows the air cleaner that is necessary near the end.

They talk a lot of clearance problems and adapters, due to the massive float bowls all over the internet. I had my speculations while waiting for mine in the mail.

Here is your answer-

Street%20Demon%20air%20cleaner%20fitment%201.jpg

The only thing between the carb and the cleaner is the supplied gasket. The closest area is the accelerator pump linkage that you can see on the right, but it still gets 1/4" of space at it's nearest point to the air horn area on the closest part of it's throw. It looks a lot closer in that pic than it actually is. Mind the crappy cellular low res pic.

Street%20Demon%20air%20cleaner%20fitment%202.jpg

Air horn clears the cleaner base radius diameter with no modification. The stud it comes with is long, which is typical for this air cleaner on all new carb kits.

Street%20Demon%20air%20cleaner%20fitment%203.jpg

The top larger hole on the cad plated universal linkage is where the Chrysler stud goes. Demon wants $25 or something close to that for the stud. I would suggest using an OE or coming up with something for 1/10 price at the hardware store.

The carb mount area on the manifold leans on the level table. Engine sits at an angle for proper driveshaft to rear axle angle in all cars, so the manifolds all have this taper. Nothing is obstructing the air cleaner to carb fitment for the carb to function properly. I've had the cleaner tight on the stud with the gasket and nothing comes close. This ended up being a-drop-in-and-go deal. No spacer.

You can buy their air cleaner and you can also buy their $25 throttle stud. I opted not to.

I have another thread running on this application on a 318 with '302 heads. I'll update it when the valves come in!

Quote By Chloros: {I got one. I love it. i put it on in 30 degree weather and it started right up and idled by with out any help. some small adjustmens and i took it for a test ride. had to adjust the trap door for the seconarys and it was good much better than the holley ever was. they are comming out with a 750cfm soon.}

The electric choke sits high. everything I saw on it says if you use a drop base air cleaner you will have to get a spacer. i have a mopar Performance aircleaner so no problem for me. also i used stock throttle stud for the throttle cable. I drilled and tapped the largest hole on the throttle bracket threaded the stud in the bracket and for good mesure I installed the nut. I ahave a 4 speed and I have a few studs so I cut off the auto trans kick down and installed it backwarsds so the throttle cable is a straight shot to it.

I took pics of all of the clearances on the air cleaner to carb and the images had dead links, so I fixed them above, for anyone curious as to how this carb fits the mopar drop base air cleaners.

Well i got my sons carb one last week and it was PIG, PIG Rich! Turned the idle mix screws all the way in and didn't change a thing. after the metering rod change it was adjustable
(What do you expect for 6800 feet:cheers:)
Had to order a jet kit, and we jetted it by installing .006 larger metering rods. It responded and has a crisp throttle response (Something that it hasn't had in 10 years) BUT the secondary..........they stumbled REAL hard.

What shocked me, was that it required LOOSENING the air door spring to make it work right. Need to lean out the secondary too. Sent him on his way to get us to the carb before we tune it any more.

If you are using a stock 360 manifold, you will need a open spacer adapter to get the secondary butterfly (?) to clear the manifold.

Compared to a TQ, the butterfly assembly is much much smaller in width.

So far I'm really happy with the way it works.

When you should hook up the throttle and kickdown linkage do you put both on the $25 throttle stud that Demon sells?

-
Back