63 904 kickdown linkage adjustment

-

Dartnewbie

Former Dart owner
Reaction score
According to my manual, to set the kickdown linkage, disconnect the ball connector at the bellcrank on the top. I then loosen the slide on the linkage by the kickdown lever and push the lever all the way forward and tighten the slide back up. I then adjust the arm to the upper bellcrank ball connector with the throttle at idle. Does this sound right?

(whips out the 63 Dodge FSM) Ok, first off, these are a bit different, its a TF 6 and a TF 8. If you have a V8 in a Dart, its not original, if my memory serves correctly. So you'll want to be sure the throttle linkage is (or isn't) the original stuff, which is very different than the V8 linkage of later years.

After you figure it all out, here's the basic thing you need to know:

When the throttle is closed, the throttle lever (kickdown) on the trans should be all the way forward. At WOT, the lever on the trans should be all the way back. Somewhere in the linkage, accomodation should be made for the throttle to be able to close even if the trans linkage gets stuck.

Fire away with further questions if need be.

Thanks Max. I'll have to climb under it and check to see if that is what it is doing.

I have a 73 dart that came from factory with a V8. I just put a Lokar kick down cable on it without buying a bracket. With the factory throttle cable. It does work. You will have to make 1 small bracket for it to work. Follow the directions. 904 trans. Adjusting it after its installed is just a little time. Let me know if I can help.

-
Back