63 Dart 383

-

SlantSicknessDart63

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to stuff a 383 in a 63 Dart? I'm having issues figuring out what ECU I need for my 318 and have a donor 66 Polara with a running 383 near me. I would like to figure out what I need to do.

i dont know the size comparison to from 63-66 but I have a 408 stroker in it which is real tight for my liking but works

Probably time to bring out the BFH and the Blue Tip Wrench. You might want to see an ecumenical counselor also. LMAO

Been there, done that! My first Mopar was a 63 270 Dart in 1968 that I swapped out the /6 for a 66 273. Luckily I bought a 66 Dart that was complete, but wrecked. I used as much of the 66 stuff as possible to do the swap. The reason being is that the 63 was never designed for any V8 and that includes the steering set up.

I have seen many 383 early A’s over the years. It solves the distributor to firewall issue on pre 66 cars. All the ones I have seen had manifolds on them not sure of specifics on those. ECU is the same across the board for Mopar

Exhaust clearance issues, potential firewall/transmission clearance issues, potential cooling system upgrades, stronger torsion bars, shorter driveshaft, etc. I'm sure there's probably more.

If you're having trouble figuring out the 318, I'd stick with a smallblock.

Exhaust clearance issues, potential firewall/transmission clearance issues, potential cooling system upgrades, stronger torsion bars, shorter driveshaft, etc. I'm sure there's probably more.

If you're having trouble figuring out the 318, I'd stick with a smallblock.
Coolant system and possible torsion bars will come with the donor. There's a mount kit that moves the engine forward for the clearance issues. That may clear up the drive shaft issues as well. I'd rather go with an early smallblock, but this one is available and cheap.

Torsion bars won’t interchange. Driveshaft won’t fit, engine can’t be moved forward enough without oil pan/k frame interference. Radiator probably wider then opening in core support

You've got to REALLY WANT a big block in a early A-body, to deal with all the complications resulting from trying to put a size eleven foot in a size seven shoe.
To try to do it just cause you have a motor and trans available, is a bad idea.
I'd consider posting a trade add here, will swap 383 (and maybe trans) for good 360..... and start from there.

You've got to REALLY WANT a big block in a early A-body, to deal with all the complications resulting from trying to put a size eleven foot in a size seven shoe.
To try to do it just cause you have a motor and trans available, is a bad idea.
I'd consider posting a trade add here, will swap 383 (and maybe trans) for good 360..... and start from there.
Good Idea.

-
Back