63 Dart Repair

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
A friend of a friend is in need. Super nice guy. Has a 63 Dart 4 door, 225 auto. Car runs fairly well. Someone knocked every piece of glass out of the little car except the passenger's front door and vent window. <smh>. Then, back in June, he took the car to "some garage" in Warner Robins, Georgia and they charged him $475 to get the end broken exhaust manifold studs out of the cylinder head. He even removed BOTH manifolds before he had it towed there. ALL they had to do. Drill two studs out. Incredible. I'm just gonna help the guy. I have the old windshield out of Vixen. Gonna just let him have it. Car needs a carburetor, as he tried to put a reman on it and broke one of the ears off. @64DartGTinAZ is sendin me a Carter BBS core to build for him. Thanks John. I tried my best to make one good carburetor out of the one he broke and his old one. Just not gonna work. Has some burnt wires behind the dash. <rolls eyes>. We'll see what "THAT" is. Got the valves adjusted on it and got it running remarkably better.....even with the crappy carburetor. It's a cool little car. I just hate to see somebody have such suckass luck......especially when I can help. I'll add some pictures tomorrow in the daytime.

Went ahead and took some tonight. Camera did pretty good.
JAMES DART.jpg
JAMES DART1.jpg
JAMES DART2.jpg
JAMES DART3.jpg
JAMES DART4.jpg
JAMES DART5.jpg

I most likely have all the side glass, but I'm in Ca. No back glass, 63 Dart is one year only for the back glass.

Yeah, I know. It's gonna be a ***** to find. lol If you want to pm me with prices, I'll see if he's interested. Well.....I know he is, but there's only so much he can afford at one time. He has a nice little car cover, so it won't get totally rained in.

I think what's gonna end up happening is, the car's probably gonna stay out here until they get their stuff together and get moved. They're in a terrible area. I just told him I'd be glad to store it until they got relocated. He seemed favorable.

Aight den. @Lee Robinson has been the total badass and helped with all the glass except the rear window. Lee, you don't know how much I appreciate that and I know James does too.

Now we are looking for the back glass for a 63 Dart four door. I know. It's one year and one model only. It's a *****. But please if you have one, post up and let me know. Don't post a price here. I don't want to break the rules and turn this into a wanted or for sale ad. Please PM me with a price and I will relay it to James and let you know. Thank you all so much. I am really excited to help James out.

Would I be breaking the rules to PayPal a $20 to James's cause? I'm so far behind, I think I'm in front, but I can find a twenty to help a brother out. God knows enough people have helped me out! :D

Would I be breaking the rules to PayPal a $20 to James's cause? I'm so far behind, I think I'm in front, but I can find a twenty to help a brother out. God knows enough people have helped me out! :D

I'll run it by him. I'm sure he won't mind, but I'd rather ask him first. That's very thoughtful.

How about making that rear glass out of 1/4" thick clear acrylic sheet flat stock.

Looks like that window would be flat. Can duct tape together a few cardboard sheets and make a rear window pattern out of that. Then transfer that onto the Acrylic Sheet for size, then cut it out with a jig saw.

Seal the fresh cut window into the car with the Urethane Black Window-Weld Sealer from 3M for strength to hold it in place, not using the old hard window rubber.

If you think it needs more center support after the Urethane Dries (guessing it won't) you can use the 2 inside strap braces like the stock car racers use for their front windshields.

Screenshot_20201028-022142_Gallery.jpg

Glass companies can cut flat laminated glass to fit too if it is completely flat. It is safety glass.

How about making that rear glass out of 1/4" thick clear acrylic sheet flat stock.

Looks like that window would be flat. Can duct tape together a few cardboard sheets and make a rear window pattern out of that. Then transfer that onto the Acrylic Sheet for size, then cut it out with a jig saw.

Seal the fresh cut window into the car with the Urethane Black Window-Weld Sealer from 3M for strength to hold it in place, not using the old hard window rubber.

If you think it needs more center support after the Urethane Dries (guessing it won't) you can use the 2 inside strap braces like the stock car racers use for their front windshields.

View attachment 1715620855

Glass companies can cut flat laminated glass to fit too if it is completely flat. It is safety glass.

I thought about that. It's not quite exactly flat, though and he wants glass. Of course. lol I would too, I think.

Last edited:
Well, @64DartGTinAZ John, was very kind and sent a really good Carter BBS core. I got the kit in it and of course, as usual, I was the problem. lol the leather accelerator pump turned backwards in one area when I installed it. My hands are so damned big I didn't even feel it resisting when I installed it, although I'm sure it did. LOL Anyway, now the leather is stretched and "that one" won't work. I put an old one in it and it's a little hard so we'll see what it does after a couple of day in gas. If that doesn't do it, I'll just get a new one as they are available separately. At any rate, here's how good I got it running otherwise. It's very obviously worth fixing.

Nice. Old slants always seem to get back up on their feet with a little help, kinda like us over the hill gang.

Looks better on that running engine than sitting on a shelf in my garage! Thanks for giving it a good home! :)

I have an extra Holly 1920 that worked ok when I pulled it off if you need! Just PM me.

I got the windshield channel all cleaned out and there was no rust through. Put a good coat of Rustoleum on it and there's the windshield. This is the fourth time this windshield has been installed or removed since it was new....without breaking it. lol

63 DART WINDSHIELD.jpg

Oh and I gave James the windshield. All I charged him for was the lock strip, which I had left over from the rear window gasket kit for Vixen. I wanted the plain black strip and this one was the mylar chrome. James had the chrome so what better use? I charged him 25 for the lock strip and 25 to clean the windshield channel and install the windshield. The goal here is to help James as much as possible, because he's already been hurt enough.

RRR you might check with Clay and Sons just out of St Louis a ways. They have maybe the largest Mopar boneyard E of the Miss. I hate to think what it would be like to ship a back glass!!!? ha 635-257-4669 or 314-954-0815

RRR you might check with Clay and Sons just out of St Louis a ways. They have maybe the largest Mopar boneyard E of the Miss. I hate to think what it would be like to ship a back glass!!!? ha 635-257-4669 or 314-954-0815

Thanks. I'll give those numbers to James and see what happens.

I had one shipped from Texas to New York just on the US side of the Canadian Border and IIRC it was around $450 shipped (including glass). That was in a heavy wooden crate the seller made. Considering how hard they can be to find I thought that was fair. Hope you can find one.

-
Back