63 fury engine swap

-

tdart

Reaction score
got a 63 fury i want to put a 318 la engine in it and 904 trans what mounts do i use on engine?what tranny crossmember and mount and oil pan?

I suspect your car had a slant 6 before, you do not have to change the transmission cross member and as far as the engine I would go for a 360 and not a 318. pretty darn close to the same price, unless you have the 318 on hand. As for the transmission mount I think the slant 6 one works. A-bodies use the rear sump oil pan but I believe the B-bodies like yours use the center sump oil pans. Some of the guys here will know for sure. Do you have the motor mounts?, they will need changing.

I won't be much help on the early B bodies, but I think this will be a fairly easy swap.

The crossmember /mount should be the same for "traditional" transmissions. Modern OD auto {A500-A518} is a different matter.

You'll need a "car" center sump LA pan off a 273/318/340, 360 pan is different.

"I would guess" you need motor mounts / brackets for a 63 era 318 "poly" I believe those mounts will fit the LA

WE NEED PHOTOS LOL. If you Google, "there was a guy" who built about a 63 turbo smallblock.........

Here find this guy.........he may have been here, and was on Moparts

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJSSX6hqo6M"]1962 Plymouth Savoy E85 S400 Turbo Small Block Mopar Dyno 472HP - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks guy's, ok i am using LA 318 so center sump B body pan and pick up, stock not deep pan correct?i got poly318 block mount,s but no rubber so which rubber mounts do i get,and no this wasn,t a 6 k frame.

There would be room for a deep pan, but I don't know what all would / would not fit. In my "yuth" I put a 340 in my 70RR, but of course the 70 Belvedere/ Satellites came with 318 LAs then.

Thanks guy's, ok i am using LA 318 so center sump B body pan and pick up, stock not deep pan correct?i got poly318 block mount,s but no rubber so which rubber mounts do i get,and no this wasn,t a 6 k frame.

A body pan and pickup should work. Get mounts for the car. As far as I know the block mounting should be the same. 318 to 318.

This 63 fury is a B/Body so i should be using b/body oil pan?As far as mounts that's what im not sure of 318 big block to 318 small block. do i use 318 LA block mounts with 63 318 rubber mounts and do you use newer trany rubber mount,i got welder not a big deal but id rather just bolt stuff on tired of fabing stuff.

This 63 fury is a B/Body so i should be using b/body oil pan?As far as mounts that's what im not sure of 318 big block to 318 small block. do i use 318 LA block mounts with 63 318 rubber mounts and do you use newer trany rubber mount,i got welder not a big deal but id rather just bolt stuff on tired of fabing stuff.

318 is an A motor very similar to the newer LA 318. Use the motor mounts and rubber insulators for your 63 Fury. The A body pan and pickup should fit the 63 Fury. Depending on the year, might be the same. Do you know what the LA 318 is from?

........ 318 big block to 318 small block. .

Just to clarify, "there is no" 318 big block nor wide block. I'm sure "wide block" comes from that the heads make the thing look so big.

In fact if you strip a poly and an LA down it's a bit difficult.....unless you are familiar.....to actually tell the difference in bare blocks

I believe poly pans, timing cover and water pump, and timing chain, and probably oil pump and distributor.....interchange.

The "proper" term for a poly is an "A" block. In fact "LA" means "Light A" engine, as in lightweight, even though there were design changes and different heads.

It sounds like this guy is trying to adapt poly heads to a 360......

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/poly-heads-on-la-block-how-did-you-do-that-again.653629/

ok thank's guy's for the info i'm just putting a stock La 318 with 904 what dont work will be cut and modfied to work or custom make what i need to make it work

-
Back