63 Signet soft top

-

AussiePlymouths

Reaction score
Just checking with you convertible blokes.
I have a '63 Signet with the vinyl top.
It's not the factory original (I think), I'd say it's a replacement.
But I am surprised that there are so many gaps around the quarter windows, I don' wash it with the top up for fear of it filling with water.
I understand the gaps around the glass are alignment, but has my top shrunk, maybe???

Also, when the top is down it sticks up a lot higher than the bodywork of the car. Sort of looks as though it is too big to fit in the cavity for the top to fold down into. I have a sales brochure and the car on that has a top boot that seems quite close to the bodywork height, whereas mine sticks out. Looks like a set of ribs on a skinny sheila!!!!:vom:

Any comments please?

Even if there was no convertible top skin on the frame, the frame should still latch to the header and the side glasses should meet there weaterstrips in the side rails of the top frame.
If the top has shrunk I think it would be stong enough to change the alignment of the frame.
Could be that you only need new weather strips.
Worst case senerio that I can think of that would cause the problem you describe is a sagged subframe. If the car has sagged in the center, the top installer would need to shove the top bows upward to compensate.
In my opinion , all convertibles need subframe connectors.
Some pics of the side of the car and the current door alignment might help.

Concerning how you said your top sticks up higher than the body when down: so does mine. Mine is manual, and I have to push on the exposed parts of the frame to try to get it down, and then I bunjee strap it down on each side so I can put my tonneau cover on.

Thanks for the replies boys.
The top sticking up when I put it into the down position is my main gripe. It's sort of like it's the wrong top, but thanks for the replies and confirmation that someone else has noticed the same.
I might try the bungee strap thingo.
many thanks
Gary

Hello folks. New to the forum and actually am going through the same issue. Currently I'm using ropes to hold down the top but still sticks out the housing a bit. There is a thread by OldFart that mentions Layson's restorations toll free 877-930-4088 that sells these. I'll be calling soon to inquire about this.

Yes War1, that's my point about the way it sticks up out of "the housing" and doesn't fold right down. Although since my original post I have looked at lots of pics and most of the '63s and '64s i looked at are like that. Even the Mustangs i looked at seem to stick up.
It does look a bit like the top isn't folded right down doesn't it?
Maybe it's meant to be that way.

-
Back