63 Valiant Manual Trans. Gears won't engage

-

sodapopper

Reaction score
i've got a 63 plymouth valiant (3 speed column shifter), i've had it for 7 years. last week, i was driving, head a pop and realized i could no longer accelerate. my clutch felt normal but when shifting then engine would not come out of neutral. there is also a knock and rattle that seems to come from the lower engine/transmission area. any ideas?

Sounds like something let go inside the pressure plate/clutch/throwout bearing assembly. With the engine off can you shift through the gears are is it stuck? Does the trans prevent the car from rolling while in gear and engine off? At the absolute bare minimum you are going to have to pull the bellhousing inspection cover off and take a peak inside. I would expect to find a clutch spring has come out and wedged between flywheel and clutch disc locking the clutch engaged at all times.

right now, i can shift the car whether it's running or not. it will also roll if left without the parking brake on. so it as if it's in neutral. is this a job you think i can handle? would i be able to replace the clutch spring with just the bell housing off?

The first thing I would check would be the shifter linkage. Is it still attached?

The clutch spring is part of the pressure plate. Trans has to come out, then the bell housing, then the p/p. Is it possible that something inside the trans broke and locked it in neutral? I guess it is, but either way, trans would have to come out.

I'd put it in gear while running and look or have a have a friend look under the car to see if the driveshaft is spinning, sound's like the spider gears in the 7 1/4 rear went south to me....Just sayin.......Wagg's

-
Back