63 Valiant turn signal and indicator issues

-

nkaust

Reaction score
Whats up guys new here, i have a 63 valiant signet 200. my issues are, no marker lights in the front, no driver side turn signal, no passenger side indicator light?

both rear turn, brakes, running lights work, headlights work, dashlights work if you fiddle with the dimmer a little. passenger side front turn signal works, driver side indicator light works.

i checked the voltage at the driverside front marker light and and i was getting between .2 and .5 volts with multimeter negative hooked to the battery. i replaced the bulb, checked the plug connection at the fender and it looked decent, check the bulb socket and it was clean.

any ideas, much appreciated

20200620_165526.jpg

Welcome and nice looking convertible!

Thank you for leading with a lot of the needed info. Many people forget that part. I have some questions

Did the turn signals etc ever work correctly?
What have you done to the car recently, even if it seems unrelated?

have you purchased a wiring diagram? you can download free from mymopar.com a Factory Service Manual and wiring diag.

last year when i started cruising the car around everything worked like it should, sometime after the trip to Carlisle chrysler nationals the indicator stopped working. the only thing i did was change the oil, air up the tires and a good wash.

it must have been the airing up the tires! :lol:

Have you verified all the affected bulbs are good with a multimeter / battery etc

the turn indicator in the dash? are the the 1/4 turn type? I have seen a single prong brake off and while it will go in and stay in it doesn't make contact.

I'm not very familiar with the 63 valiant

just to be sure I know which lights you are referring to:

1. marker lights in the front ( marker light = Parking light, faces forward would blink if turn signal was on?)
  2. driver side turn signal ( same light as marker light? but blinks if turn signal was on?)
  3. passenger side indicator light (indicator in the dash?)

much thanks for the comment, lol i guess i'll let some air out. i will double check tomorrow with the bulb i replaced i put an 1157 in which is what i though i took out. as for the indicator bulb i figured i would ask about it, being it works when i put on the left turn signal and doesn't when i put on the right. i wanted to see if there was 2 bulbs? maybe lol
and for your questions in order
1.yes
2.yes
3.yes

thanks

I would assume that the dash indicators are two seperate bulbs

In 67 the front marker and turn signal is a dual filliment bulb like the rear stop and tail light. 63 might be the same?

Remember the front parking lights go out when the head lights are on for cars made before 68/69 federal lighting standards

Remember the front parking lights go out when the head lights are on for cars made before 68/69 federal lighting standards
Not all. 1967 Barracudas are one exception I am aware of. I suspect there are others.

i much appreciate the info guys i will check it out and see what i come up with. i am hoping something simple. i almost but i did replace the ballast resister. thanks again.

Hey guys just wanted to give you all an update. well with using the wiring diagram and tracing the wire from the lamp to the fire wall, it turned out to be a dirty connection at the firewall. i thought i had the right wire and plug but i was mistaken. had to clean the paint off of the wire to see what i had. I also wanted to let you know that my car is one of the cars that the parking lights turn off when the headlighst go on. I will say thanks again for the help and looking forward to being a member here. i just am a busy person and won't be able to post as much as i would like.

-
Back