'64 Barracuda Exhaust Help

-

jlindemann

Reaction score
I am looking to put a 2.5" dual exhaust on, from the manifold back. The car already has dual exhaust because it has a 318 in it. I am going to modify the trans member to better accept the dual exhaust. Wondering from everyone's experience, how much louder is the exhaust sound inside the car if I dump the pipes before the axle vs. running them out the back? Also, what type of mufflers would you guys recommend for a nice sound, but not too loud? Anybody have some nice mufflers they want to sell? :) Thanks in advance for everyone's help, greatly appreciated!

I just bought 65 Signet with side pipes and glass packs, it sucks!!! way to loud I just posted a post about Summit headers. I too am going to cut out the trans member. Maybe we could bounce ideas off each other, I am going to run all the way back, gonna notch out the rear valance like the formula cars only on both sides. here is my summit post

Need some advice on a set of headers from Summit, the guy says they will fit a early A. There book says 67 for sure, I have included the link take a look please. Also what is the difference between 4-5-6 273 and the 7-8-9 273 as far as the drivers side set up with the steering box torsion bar and all the other stuff, I would think its the same and would fit. Here is the summit part number, SUM-G9040

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...107007594&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:VRI

Those headers will not work in an early A. Learned that one the hard way i tried to use some that i was told would fit only to get them home and them be nowhere close. I ended up with spitfires on my car still looking at exhaust though. let me know if you figure out the crossmember problem i'm in the same boat with my 66.

I am looking to put a 2.5" dual exhaust on, from the manifold back. The car already has dual exhaust because it has a 318 in it. I am going to modify the trans member to better accept the dual exhaust. Wondering from everyone's experience, how much louder is the exhaust sound inside the car if I dump the pipes before the axle vs. running them out the back? Also, what type of mufflers would you guys recommend for a nice sound, but not too loud? Anybody have some nice mufflers they want to sell? :) Thanks in advance for everyone's help, greatly appreciated!

I have run cars with dumps in front of the axle and can say that the sound of exhaust under the car stinks. Run full pipes out the back or sides.

I am using Dynomax Super turbos, duals out the back 2 1/4" after the first foot or so.

Add some sound deadner under the rear seat, that will help a lot.

headlinerproject64Valiant026Small.jpg

DSCN2133Medium.JPG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud8mci4rjFU

I would just run them all the way back. I had a few cars that had turn downs right before the axle and they had that annoying drone at constant speed. it sucks. also like caveman said try out some sound insulation to keep the interior noise to a minimum.

What type of sound dampening material do most of you use? I know Dynomat is the big name, but also very expensive. Any suggestions?

Cavemanmoron - car sounds great! Thanks for including the clip.

Looks like I am gonna use the stock manifolds and run them all the way back. I don't think the 4's and 5's look good with the turn downs in the back the valance (in my opinion) comes down way to far. I am going to cut notch outs like the formula S cars have on both sides. I did the Trans crossmember today just have to weld up the braces that go across and that will be done.

Please send some pics of the valance after the cutting is done. I am curious to see what it would look like. Never thougth of cutting it and was just going to turn them down like what is currently on it.

Sure thing probably wont be for a few weeks but I will post them. Basically I will cut them out right under the rear bumper brace holes on center. I am thinking of a 4x2 crome tip so the holes will be i guess 5 x 3? I am gonna take some masking tape and tape them off in the next day I will post that when I am done, maybe paint the area on the valance that is gonna be cut out I'll paint it black so I will get a good feel for what it will look like.

-
Back