64 Cuda .. first project car :)

-

Sbonez

Reaction score
Hello everyone name is Sterling im new to the forum and i have a 64 cuda that is all stock. the plan is to pick up a 360 or a 318 and build to 400hp is the goal. the color to be plum crazy purple PPG, or black... idk yet on the color black get s very hot in Arizona... im open to what others think i should do to the car so please pm me or post in chat what you think and tips and help if you can will be very appreacaited sense this is my first rebuild/ hot rod :) cant wait..

P.S, anyone else located in the Arizona district?

Attachments

• IMG_7306.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 395
318 stroker would be nice but the cost is most likely more then it would cost the 360 to get 400 hp and idk how much a 318 cost to stroke

Welcome! Just curious what engine is in your car now?

Welcome to FABO from North Carolina. You're going to like it here, will get plenty of help. There used to be a nice 65 Cuda in upstate NY in plum crazy and it was a great looking A-body.

Welcome, and I'm in AZ - in Phoenix near the PV mall...where are you?

welcome, my first car was A 64 barracuda,,,had 2 66 cudas since,,,just sold one i had 28 years,,, lived in mesa for a short 10 months,,,hope the job situation is better there now then 1987,,,

I live by the happy valley and the engine in the car now is a la 273 small block ya the jobs aRe not now I work at costco so $11.50 well in high school is nice all my money is going into my cars there my babies :) anyone has any tips or suggestions what I should do to the car please let me know so I can mark it down and look at it

11.50 is twice what i made there in 1987/88 lol

all depends on your goals and whats in your wallet,,,, a good running 318 or 360 may not be to hard to find in your area,,,,,

Nope found a couple non local but not to far. One guy wants to do a trade my 273 for a stock 360

anyone has any tips or suggestions what I should do to the car please let me know so I can mark it down and look at it

Brakes: Front Disc, Bigger Rear Drums, Dual M/C, All Hoses and maybe lines?
Suspension: Bushing, Tie Rods, Ball Joints, Shocks

then Motor(?)

Thank you danarchy for the tips will be noted and looked into for parts :)

Welcome, Sterling. Even though I am a newbie myself, I have found that FABO is a great resource!

We have a '65 Barracuda with the original Slant 6.

Bob - Rancho Cucamonga, Cal.

Awesome where r u located and I have the original 273 I'm pulling out to replace with a 360

I Agree with all the above. Especially front disc brake kit and dual master cylinder set up, safety stopping is very important!! My 65 formula S has a 318 set up with 14 inch rally wheels and 8 1/4 rear end! She runs good and a true road car, not yet going to high hp maybe 300 at best. Down the road after body and paint is finished we go back to do motor again and make it a rocket ship! However the transmission is set up for high hp when it was done in the begin of the project. As I say to people these cars are money holes we just like them so much we toss the dollars into them and someday HOPE they are worth it, as in reality maybe we get back most of it! Reality is the early A bodies just don't have the value a E body Cuda or later 67- 69 cuda does!! Simple facts of our world. We may hold the value of the first available v8 "muscle car" in 1964 and largest glass window in any car ever made!! Yet it does not relate to value down our road!! Enjoy it love it and do what you want with it! I say Mopar or No Car!!! I got two trophy this season for just being at shows with my Barracuda it looks like an original un restored A Body! I was asked to come to a car show that was invitation only for unique and different cars ( they only had space for 40 cars) as so few Early Barracudas ever get seen any more!! So Love it and drive it!!!

65Cudalover!!

I will I am restoring but just beefing the engine and handing up. Might through a different paint job but idk yet what color to go with

I agree with 65cudalover... am also putting front disc brakes and dual brake cylinder on ours. Even though it only has the /6, still don't like the feel of drum brakes when having to stop quickly (too spoiled by power brakes all these years).
And also agree as it relates to the response we get when we take it out! Nothing fancy done to it, slightly raised in rear, set of baby moon rims, painted all black with much of the extra chrome pieces removed... but the positive responses we get!!!! Even (maybe better said "especially") when they see all that we are running is the stock /6.

-
Back