64 Cuda steering column shaft grounding

-

Mark Lewis

Reaction score
After putting the rack & pinion steering in I don’t have a ground on the steering shaft. In turn the horns won’t work. From what I can tell the stock setup grounded through the coupling and box. Anyone know of an easy way to ground the shaft? I hate the thought of using an aftermarket horn button.

I guess you make a brush holder that would contact the shaft inside the bottom or top of the outer tube.It would give you ground as long as the generator brushes stayed in contact with the shaft.That's the only way I can see grounding that shaft. this would act like the slip rings in an alternator or portable generator .

I guess you make a brush holder that would contact the shaft inside the bottom or top of the outer tube.It would give you ground as long as the generator brushes stayed in contact with the shaft.That's the only way I can see grounding that shaft. this would act like the slip rings in an alternator or portable generator .

Thanks, that sounds like a good solution. Maybe I can butcher up an old power tool for it’s brush and holder.

I would thing the shaft would ground through housing through the upper bearing. You could loosely wrap a small ground strap around the column and attach it to the shaft and housing. It would tighten in one direction and loosen in the other direction. Like all the late model cars do with a clock spring. That would be in the housing and wouldn't be seen.

-
Back