64 D-100 Sweptline uprades?

-

falston1

Reaction score
Can anyone point me in the right direction on making the braking system more reliable and better on these old trucks? Is a just a manual dual bowl master cylinder a much of an upgrade? And if so, what do I look for? I will put power brakes and disc front brakes on it in the future. I have a new booster and master cylinder in my shed that I can adapt to the truck I think for disc/drum brakes. I just dont have the time or money for a week long project right now. Thanks for any help.
-Forrest

I am sure some of the guys here can help but have you tried ramchargercentral.com? They are all about Dodge trucks, good forum to ask questions.

Thanks for the forum link. I hadn't searched that one before. After a little more digging, I found my answer. Oddly enough, they use a-body bb and hemi offset master cylinder adapters to mount up power boosters because the hydraulic clutch m/c is in the way. And a front disc brake kit is only about $350 on these, so I'll just save up a bit and get that. Should be able to get power disc/drum brakes for around $500 since I already have a power booster and m/c in the shed.

There is a lot of good info over on sweptline.org. A lot of guys use the Scarebird disc conversion.

It's also a good idea to check and replace all brake lines and hoses that even look suspicious of wear and cracking.
I would also strongly recommend going through all of the brake components as well to be sure that it is all up to spec. and safe.

Yeah, I was planning on all new lines and brake components. The single bowl master cylinder is really what I'm worried about. I'm not too sure it'll be great for the city. But for now, I'm just fixing it like it is with new components. I'm actually a member of sweptline.org, but I just use it for info and never post. I've looked at a few kits and scarebird seems to be the cheapest and most used. Thanks for the replies.

Ive heard of guys upgrading to the 72-80 whole front sub frame, pretty sure 81-93 would be the same thing.

its a hell of a job, but would handle, and stop a lot better

I've seen that too. The front frames are only 1/4" off I think. If I went full ifs, then I'd just put a mustang 2 front end on. They're cheap and everything is availible

-
Back