64 dart 408 swap

-

13reddart

Reaction score
Hello all, I'd like to put a 408 stroker in a 64 dart with a passion 5 speed. Any advice on how to strengthen the car to handle that kind of power? Thanks

Start with a good pair of sub-frame connectors and a set of front and rear torque boxes.

Anything else depends on what exactly you're building the car for ie: full time drag strip or a street/strip machine.

Start with a good pair of sub-frame connectors and a set of front and rear torque boxes.

Anything else depends on what exactly you're building the car for ie: full time drag strip or a street/strip machine.

Thanks, I'm building a street car.

Heavier torsion bars are a good idea....just don't go to much oversize on them or it'll ride like a lumber wagon. You might consider front and rear sway bars too.

A good set of leaf springs are also a good idea.....along with an adjustable pinion snubber.

Pay real close attention to the front K-frame. Check the holes where the pin for the lower control arms mount and make sure none of the welds are breaking loose and/or the holes becoming egg shaped. Check ALL of the welds on the K-frame itself, some of these left the factory with some pretty poor welds. You might also consider boxing in the lower control arms and re-inforcing the tranny cross-member where the rear of the torsion bars fit in the hex sockets.

I know you want to build a street car. But there will come a time I'm sure you will put it on the track. Any drag strip will want to see a roll cage in there. When I built A body dirt track car's I built the roll cage to tie the car together, going from front clip to the rear clip using a little commen since. you don't need that much pipe to do it.

Brent

Heavier torsion bars are a good idea....just don't go to much oversize on them or it'll ride like a lumber wagon. You might consider front and rear sway bars too.

A good set of leaf springs are also a good idea.....along with an adjustable pinion snubber.

Pay real close attention to the front K-frame. Check the holes where the pin for the lower control arms mount and make sure none of the welds are breaking loose and/or the holes becoming egg shaped. Check ALL of the welds on the K-frame itself, some of these left the factory with some pretty poor welds. You might also consider boxing in the lower control arms and re-inforcing the tranny cross-member where the rear of the torsion bars fit in the hex sockets.

Thanks, where can I get torsion bars and leafs for this car? It originally had a v-8, will the K frame have the problem you mentioned? Thanks

-
Back