64 Dart Gt 4 speed won’t shift into gear ??

-

sonny64

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a 1964 dart Gt 225 4 speed manual. I put in a new clutch, pressure plate, push baring( the clutch kit) and with a rebuild trans and now I can’t shift into gears when the cars is running. I’ve already adjusted the pedal linkage and the shift linkage and still no luck. I have adjusted the pressure plate and clutch as well and made sure the clutch was installed correctly. When the car is on I can’t shift and only grinds hard if I try to put in reverse or another gear with clutch pushed in but when it’s off I can shift freely to any gear. I’ve looked at all over the internet and tried all the different suggestions but still no luck. Thanks if any one can help.

Your clutch disc isn't releasing... Either a linkage issue or something is wrong with the install.... If the pedal feels normal your probably taking it back apart..

Hi guys, I have a 1964 dart Gt 225 4 speed manual. I put in a new clutch, pressure plate, push baring( the clutch kit) and with a rebuild trans and now I can’t shift into gears when the cars is running. I’ve already adjusted the pedal linkage and the shift linkage and still no luck. I have adjusted the pressure plate and clutch as well and made sure the clutch was installed correctly. When the car is on I can’t shift and only grinds hard if I try to put in reverse or another gear with clutch pushed in but when it’s off I can shift freely to any gear. I’ve looked at all over the internet and tried all the different suggestions but still no luck. Thanks if any one can help.
Did You change the pilot bushing in the crank? If so, did You check it with a spare input shaft, or install the trans w/o the clutch & check that it's not too tight?

Crawl underneath and take off the inspection cover. You should be able to adjust the linkage (if all is correct) so there is a small gap between the throw out bearing and the clutch fingers. I go for a 3/16" to 1/4" gap.

Another issue I've seen, the clutch disc & input shaft splines... In particular a car I got involved with was grinding on shifts but otherwise it shifted... The input shaft splines were rusty... They had been wire wheeled but the clutch disc didn't float, after the pressure plate moved the disc remained pressed hard against the flywheel...

Your clutch disc isn't releasing... Either a linkage issue or something is wrong with the install.... If the pedal feels normal your probably taking it back apart..
Yes, I adjust the linkage and it feel a bit softer then normal

With the car cut off, put it in gear, depress the clutch pedal and start it up. Does the car try to move? If so, I have my money that you put the clutch disc in backwards.

Did You change the pilot bushing in the crank? If so, did You check it with a spare input shaft, or install the trans w/o the clutch & check that it's not too tight?
Yes I changed the pilot bush

Crawl underneath and take off the inspection cover. You should be able to adjust the linkage (if all is correct) so there is a small gap between the throw out bearing and the clutch fingers. I go for a 3/16" to 1/4" gap.
Yes there is a small gap between the throw out and the pressure plate. Not sure exactly how much but it’s not that big

Yes there is a small gap between the throw out and the pressure plate. Not sure exactly how much but it’s not that big
If the car is safe to get under, have someone push the pedal with the engine off and watch the action.Is it a clutch or transmission issue. That's what you are looking for.

If the car is safe to get under, have someone push the pedal with the engine off and watch the action.Is it a clutch or transmission issue. That's what you are looking for.
I’m not to sure to be honest. I would drive it and shift with no issues but I wanted the trans to get rebuilt because I just got it and I wanted to make sure everything was working in good order. But once I install the trans and started it up I couldn’t shift

Yes I changed the pilot bush
I've driven a bunch in that were fine, but some need reaming/sized, make sure You didn't ding it up a bit too much installing it as well....I have a couple times, if so, You can clean it up with a rotary file or small stone etc.

With the car cut off, put it in gear, depress the clutch pedal and start it up. Does the car try to move? If so, I have my money that you put the clutch disc in backwards.
Dam yes. If I put it in first and start it or attempt to, it will jump or move forward.

It does sound like the disk is flipped, how did You determine it was correct when You checked it..?
But I double check it and my mechanic even checked it before and after I installed it and said it was good.

Why I asked if you could start it IN gear and clutch IN ! Disc is backwards, or the pilot bushing is jammed on the input shaft.

-
Back