64 Dart GT convertible Hemi Updates.

-

Dodgenut64

Reaction score
Got my k member out monday. last week i put the 5.7 back together without the crank. Later on ill slide it into the enginebay of my 64 and see how itll fit. I have an alterktion im gonna use for my new front suspension, so the old stuffs going on ebay, if it doesnt sell, ill take it to a yard.
When im done test fitting things in the engine bay, ill take the engine back apart and have the block checked out to see if iits rebuildable. I found 2 broken rods, but the only damage was a shallow scratch and the bottom of the cylinder wall. My hope is that ill be able to use this engine, itll save me a few grand if i can.
Im gonna take out the rear suspension next week, after that im gonna start cleaning up the enginebay and the entire undercarriage of the car. :sad1:
Any suggestions on how to clean it and then protect it?

sml1.jpg

sml4.jpg

Is that the bottom end of a new Hemi motor? If so what went wrong on that, wow. That's going to really killer when you get er done.

Lee

Not sure what happen, but i dont think the Ram this was in was in a reck. Maybe a head gasket, but not sure, the bearings didnt look worn at all. the exhuast valves looked like they spit up some muddy looking water. Was this engine driven into a river? the cylinder walls and combustion chamer had more of the dried up dirt in them. My hope is that i can get the blocked honed and not have to bore it.

It wouldn't dare need anything else. You thinking it got fluid locked from being under water?

Lee

Not sure. To be honest this is the first engine I've ever torn down that was locked up. I just know this truck wasnt in a wreck...unless the engine locked up and he looked down to check his guages and then ran into someone :lol:
Im only guessing, but maybe if it was a head gasket, water getting into the cumbustion chamber could have over some time gotten onto the piston rings and then they could have froze up causing the rods to snap intwo. That said, most of the cumbustion chambers (both sides) had that dried up mud look to them, so it happen on both sides. Im just not experienced enough to know what did it forsure, I can only guess.

-
Back