64 dart GT DISC rear?

-

tbr3

Reaction score
Hello all, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Does anyone know what the quickest, easiest REAR DISC conversion for my 64 Dart would be? I have heard that some Ford Bronco II's might fit? I would like to just bolt in a whole rear assembly. I am using a 360/904 driveline.

Thanks!!!
From Tom

Try Scarebird. I had one on my 64, worked great. uses all OEM stuff making it cheap money wise.

I have Wilwood on my Barracuda. They work great, but wheel selection is limited due to the rotor diameter. My 15" wheels fit with a spacer, but 16's and 17's fit with no problem.

66 Cuda 8.jpg

Does anyone know what the quickest, easiest REAR DISC conversion for my 64 Dart would be? I have heard that some Ford Bronco II's might fit? I would like to just bolt in a whole rear assembly. I am using a 360/904 driveline.

Thanks!!!
From Tom

Bronco II never had rear discs.

Thanks!!!
From Tom

Unless you are all out road racing I would cinsider staying with drums in the rear. I think disks in the rear is too much brake that's why I stayed with drums in the rear.

The new 8.8 ford out of explorers is suregrip w/discs and usely 3:56 or 3:91 gears depends if it is out of a 4wd or not. I think the Dakota's may have rear discs also.

The new 8.8 ford out of explorers is suregrip w/discs and usely 3:56 or 3:91 gears depends if it is out of a 4wd or not. I think the Dakota's may have rear discs also.

I have factory rear discs on my '03 Dakota, it needs 16" rims for clearance, they are a 6 bolt pattern also.

I was browsing through the early A discussions and came across this from 37fleetwood's post

"the basic idea with the Explorer rear is that it is around 3 inches too wide. the center section is offset by about the same. what you have to do is cut the long side down to the same length as the short side and install another short side axle".

I wouldnt reccommend going through all the work for rear disc since I dont think it makes that much of a difference, but I think its still pretty cool havin an older car with modern gear.

Dont 4 get the bolt pattern is different on the explorer unless u have already gone to the later style large bolt pattern in the front. Which rear diff are u running now? If its a 7 1/4 than go ahead and swap it out.

Very good point crvtec90, not worth that much work. I was thinking of using the parts off of mine on a 8 3/4. All you would have to do is make a mounting plate and redrill the rotor hat, right?
Thank you 340butterduster for the info, I wasn' sure about the dakotas.

Our '07 Liberty has rear discs, 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern and believe it's an 8.25 rear end. The disc set-up might be a possibility. I think the rear end is too wide for an A Body.

-
Back