'64 Dart questions

-

tbr3

Reaction score
Hello all, I am new to the site and have a '64 Dart GT conv. with the v-8 chassis which I would like to retro a 360 into. (Original motor missing when I purchased the car). I have the orig. pushbutton trans(900 series?), does anyone know if it would be a good idea to use this trans (rebuilt)with a new 360, or would I be better off with a newer one? I sure would like to keep the pushbutton linkage, anyone know if I could get a kit to adapt it to a newer trans? Also, any suggesstions on a stronger rear-end that would work on this car? Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated!!!

Hello and welcome!! I also have a 64 dart 340 but with a manual 4 speed 8 3/4 rear with 391 gear. You didn't say as to wether or not you have the 904 or the 727.I have enjoyed the push button trans with the / 6 in one of my old darts.You can tell if the trans is a 727 if you look down the trans filler tube and at the point to where the tube goes into the trans has a kickout to where the 904 is just squared off at that particular corner.I beleive the the newer 360 magnum engine as well as the older style la series engine would interchange with no adapters.As for the stronger rear end the 8 3/4 would be best but $$$$$$. If you are on a budget you could try an 8 1/4 rear Identified by the center of the rear end being rounded at the top and bottom but squared on the left and right sides.The 7 1/4 is rounded all the way I believe.BUT BE SURE THAT WHATEVER REAR YOU GET THAT ITS FOR AN A BODY!!!I hope all the info is correct and helps!

By the way a friend of mine has a 727 bush button trans out of a 50's style belvedere that might interchange with the pushbutton shifter you have in the dart if you need or want to up grade it.

tbr3,
Keep the pushbutton 904.. Get it rebuilt with a newer output shaft, more converter options. Get the B&M flexplate 360/904, so you don't have to balance the converter for the 360. I have this trans in my 64 Dart with a mildly built 360.
A 727 will fit with some work, hammer over the pinchweld. As for the rear the 7 1/4 might hold up a short time. If can find an 8 3/4 rear get moser big bolt axles. I would suggest changing the front 9" drums to disc brakes also...

Bob
64 Dart 2dr sdn v8

I'm pretty sure the early 904 you have has a different spline count or something that makes the converter different. I don't think it's a big problem, just needs to be kept in mind when picking a converter. You might be able to have the input shaft changed during the rebuild, I'm not really up on automatics. Somebody here will let you know before long. Nice to have all of your ducks in a row before you start a project like this. Even if everything is right there'll probably be a hiccup or two along the way.

definitely go with the 8 3/4" rear end. i have a pretty mild 360 in my 64 and it had NO PROBLEM toasting the original 7 14" rear. i think a worn out /6 could probably toast a 7 1/4" -- its one of the smallest and weakest-looking rears i've ever seen in an automobile.

i found a used 8 3/4" on ebay, it was complete drum to drum, in very good shape, for a little over $500 shipped from cali to ohio. it supposedly came out of a 70 dart and bolted right up to my 64. it had small bp axles tho. easily replaced, but more $$$. the seller's name is empiriverside, he said he had a bunch of a-body 8 3/4"s. very good seller too, highly recommended.

-tim

I really want to thank all of you for your help! This is the info I was looking for and will help so much. I will keep ya'all posted on status of this fun project.

tbr3,
Keep the pushbutton 904.. Get it rebuilt with a newer output shaft, more converter options. Get the B&M flexplate 360/904, so you don't have to balance the converter for the 360. I have this trans in my 64 Dart with a mildly built 360.
A 727 will fit with some work, hammer over the pinchweld. As for the rear the 7 1/4 might hold up a short time. If can find an 8 3/4 rear get moser big bolt axles. I would suggest changing the front 9" drums to disc brakes also...

Bob
64 Dart 2dr sdn v8

Don't forget the low 1st and 2nd gear in the 904 trans

BOBSDART has the idea i'm using. Putting the front three major components from a '68 and later 904 to get the better input shaft and larger converter selection into the pushbutton 904. Combine with the B&M 360/904 flex plate. A solid rebuild with a TF-2 shift kit and the little 904 should handle anything a small block can put to a (approx) 3,000 pound car.
I also recommend a rear end upgrade. (because I've got at least six 7-1/4" inadequacy examples piled behind the garage. Kept sticking 'em back in because they were free... but not worth installing even at that price)
I'm also putting discs up front and highly recommend that upgrade.

Anxiously looking forward to your results!

Thanks! I really appreciate the help. Will keep you posted.

To put a push button 904 behind a 360.
Get a non lockup standard ratio trans from a V-8 (preferably a 360), this will be a 998 or 999 trans. Swap everything from the sun gear shell forward into the PB trans. It is not possible to swap the low ratio gears into a PB trans. Then as stated use a after market 360 flexplate with a in balance convertor, or the stock 360 flexplate and stock 360 convertor. While the trans is apart, this would be a good time for a shift kit.

If memory serves me, you need the 64-65 V8 trans case to keep the PB. There are 2 cables, one to shift the other for park. The park cable housing is in front of the pan. Also the PB has a front and rear pump..A 65 727 from a 318 wideblock will also work...

Bob

I just found this thread, again. Remembered that Imperial Services, is supposed to have a service to modify a PB shifter to allow it to be used on the later trans. Check with them. That would allow you to use a trans that came with the engine. You would also have to have a driveshaft made, but if you change the rear, you will need to do that anyway. But stay with the 904,998,999 series transmisions, much easier to fit then the 727, and will hold up fine, unless the engine is really built,

I just found this thread, again. Remembered that Imperial Services, is supposed to have a service to modify a PB shifter to allow it to be used on the later trans. Check with them. That would allow you to use a trans that came with the engine. You would also have to have a driveshaft made, but if you change the rear, you will need to do that anyway. But stay with the 904,998,999 series transmisions, much easier to fit then the 727, and will hold up fine, unless the engine is really built,

where can i find this imperial services??? ide like to use a push button shifter in my dodge streeet rod,,,904 thanks

whew! $365 to convert the pushbutton shifter! you have to send yours in and it takes 12-16 weeks!!!!
anybody got pics of one of their conversions? i'm REAL curious as to what needs to be done...guessing it has to do with the park lever.
-tim

BOBSDART has the idea i'm using. Putting the front three major components from a '68 and later 904 to get the better input shaft and larger converter selection into the pushbutton 904. Combine with the B&M 360/904 flex plate. A solid rebuild with a TF-2 shift kit and the little 904 should handle anything a small block can put to a (approx) 3,000 pound car.
I also recommend a rear end upgrade. (because I've got at least six 7-1/4" inadequacy examples piled behind the garage. Kept sticking 'em back in because they were free... but not worth installing even at that price)
I'm also putting discs up front and highly recommend that upgrade.

Anxiously looking forward to your results!

I am using a stock rebuilt 1965 904 and ball and trunnion front joint in my 360 powered '65 Dart. I got a higher stall convertor from Pat Blais (Torqueflite Patty) along with the manual valve body. I am currently rinning 8.58 at 82 MPH in the 1/8 but have Dunlop street tires on it. So far, no problems other than traction issues. If I upgrade to slicks, am I going to have transmission issues with the old cable operated trans?

a trans is a trans,,,just because it is shifted my cable doesnt meen it wont hold up,,,its all in how it was built,,,ive seen 904 trannys in big B bodies hold up in class racing if built properly

Just thought that there may be inherent weakness in the early trans. I know that Ma Mopar used them in the slant 6 and 273 powered "B" bodies in '65, but went to a 727 in the same "B" body with a 318.
a trans is a trans,,,just because it is shifted my cable doesnt meen it wont hold up,,,its all in how it was built,,,ive seen 904 trannys in big B bodies hold up in class racing if built properly

-
Back