64 dart SB exhaust?

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I put my 65 cuda 273 together bout a year ago, used stock 273 exh. now I have dropped in the 318 into the 64 dart. the left side 273 will not drop in there unless I take the steering column from the steering box. I know I had no trouble with the cuda and the 273 and 318 are same block physically? I thought. I a dmit i'm old and wore out, dropping in the eng/trans with a chain hoist hocked to a rafter and rolling the car in there sitting on dirt bout we out yesterday!!! ha
I thought the 64 dart and 65 cuda being they both came avail. with SB, the 318 would be NO problem or the exhaust. I have a left side 318 truck maniforld but the steering coupler hits that.
I don't think I had the exh man attached to that 273 when I wiggled it all into the cuda!
if someone would buy a coupe of my members of the herd, I would pour some concrete, add a wood stove, and finish the int on the remainders! but all buyers are in west and east coast and no one wants to pay trucking, so I have my little herd! ha.....

the 273 manwill
Yup pull the manifold and bolt it back on after the engine is sit in.
the left side 273 man. will not fit between block and steering shaft. manual steering too. too old and wore out to even try it from the bottom. I had no trouble dropping in the 273 and adding 273 exh man in the 65 cuda, that I can recall! I thought both the 65 cuda and 64 dart should be exactly same eng compartment.

using 273 engine mount brackets, the thick rubber insulators, all the same as on the 273 65 cuda. I can't get the bid end of the l. 273 exh man to slip in between the block and the steering column coupler where it attaches to the man box. Ha....
I tried a couple of 318 man. center and end dumps. they won't work, but I can get them in!
I admit I was pooped fri after getting the end dropped in. chain hoist hooked to rafter and just me rolling the car under being on dirt floor. thought maybe I went brain dead and could not think enough to get n that man! had tooth pulls thur didn't speed up e any! ... hoping to have some concrete by Nov! ha ( REP, said I get some free concrete if they win!????)... lets hope.

273 block came with a divot on the side for the steering gear. I dont know if the 318 carried it over.

-
Back