64 dart. what to look for?

-

rigrunner

rigrunner
Reaction score
found a 64 dart on my local craigslist. asking price down from 2000 to 1800. car looks solid in pics its in primer. slant 6 3 on tree 2 door. never delt with the slants before. anything in particular to look for in this particular model car? looking for something a little better on gas thatn my 318 valiant. thanks. gonna try to get a look at it in a few days.

same as usual. fram rot but the torsion bars, frame rot in the rear rails, trunk floor, rot in quarters, fenders behind the wheels and on top by the hood, floors...etc..etc..

I would make sure the car was solid in the floor pans and quarter panels etc. I would check the trim pieces to make sure they were all there, they are hard to get and costly. Reproduction headlight bezels are pricey around $289.00 a pair at laysons.com, they are always damaged on these cars, hard to find. Do a compression test on the motor, wish I did, I had to replace my motor the first month after purchasing. The slant 6 motors are really good if they are taken care of, almost bullet proof. The previous owner of my car was poor on the maintenance, good with body work, and a horrible mechanic. Any chrome will have to be re-chromed since new pieces are not available.

The cowl rots bad on these. Take a light and look up around the vent housings from the inside.

I think the price is right, you are better informed than I was. I was looking for a Ford Falcon when I found my Dart Gt, I could not find anything in my price range without frame rot floor rot etc. I paid $3700 for my 64 Dart Gt, I am happy with it even though I got a surprise with the motor. I think I still got a good deal for a very solid former desert car.

2dr sedan. Is it the 170 or the 225 slant six? Does he have the front bumper? Looks good and sounds good in the ad. I love the turbine car style of that year Dart-sharp! I can't tell from his photo but make sure he has the hood trim piece. Good luck and let us know.

no return call yet in the meantime i found a 70 d100 318 3spd manual stepside short bed also waiting on a response. really like the looks of the old truck and looks like parts are easier to come by.

Other than the common things to look for on any used car, the year and model specific things to check are: Column shift parts in good tight working order, transmission and clutch/linkage working good and quiet, ball and trunnion joint on the front of the driveshaft, taillights, headlight bezels, 7 1/4 rear end gears (mainly side and spiders), speedometer and gauge cluster function, and the wimpy 9" brakes. Those are the main trouble areas on those cars.

Price might be a bit high. Here is one in my town:

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/2159695220.html

Price is $1500 and a newly rebuilt engine. I know everyone on craigslist claims that, but looks true. Paint looks funny. Could be lifting over Bondo, but looks more like a rattle can job all over or something. CA cars are usually pretty rust-free, though even LA cars get rusted floors if it leaks. I am tempted, but already have 6 cars and a back-log.

I paid $1000 for my '65 Dart GT w/ 273 almost 2 years ago. Peak of the financial crisis, so maybe prices are up now. Still, I have seen many Darts locally for <$1000. Some Slant Sixes are in the $500 range. My car had a little rust, but mostly surface and nothing like I see in posts from the North.

never got a hold of the guy went and put a deposit on the truck today gonna get it tommorow will post pics if interested. body extremly straight and clean. was a county school truck. bed has a little rust in it where the wood bolts down but easy fix. slant six was removed and a early 70s 318 engine and tranny and rear was installed. runs out great column shift collar broke so has a floor shift. needs paint and weather stripping but gonna leave it as is for a while. thanks for everyones imput.

-
Back