64 Polara

-

gipperco

Reaction score
Hey Guys and Gals,
Question for the masses. I have a guy that is trying to partial trade me a a 64 2dr HT Polara 318/Auto it looks pretty straight with minimal rust, all glass is good and no major dents or dings. Can anyone give me a ball park of what it might be worth. He thinks that it is worth about 3800.00 Seems kinda high to me, interior is shot and would need to be redone. It has an 8-3/4 in it but not a sure grip.

I know that this is a B-Body but I thought that I would through it out here and see if anyone had an idea.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A 64 Polara is a pretty sought after model, and if the chrome, grille, taillights and other hard to find items are intact and in decent condition he may be in the ballpark with his asking price. There are a few areas on the early B bodies to check into... The firewall is one of the major concerns on the early B's. Many are rusted at the pinch weld, down around the lower footwell, around the cowl and most leak like a seive into the drivers compartment. Look for rust in the trunk area as well, which is common with any car but for some reason particularily with early B's.

That 8 3/4 is the old style with the bolt on keywayed drums and is a bear to work on. Getting the drums off often requires a drum puller, a tool which has all but disappeared from all but the old school tool box. The center section is probably the 657 case, the predecessor to the 741 case, and IMO the entire rearend should be swapped for a post 65 unit, you'd be happy you did.

Other than that, I would estimate the value around $2800.00 if the body is in decent shape and there is no rust in the firewall. Thats just a guess without seeing pics of it, but a pretty educated guess!! Good luck with the trade, Geof

those can be really cool cars and 1964 means you can easily pass any smog tests. Double check for rust and if still looks pretty clean keep your mouth shut about it and start dealing.

oh yeah, and ebay the axle

I,m with Cosgig on it being a highly sought after car.I,d love to see pics atleast before giving any advise on value.What,s he looking at trading it for?

Well I have a CargoMate covered car trailer that I am asking 6500 for it. I am thinking I need 4000 cash and would take the car for 2500. This is the only picture that I have so far.

Attachments

• 0813100622.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 129
Check the cowl good. If it runs and drives I think 3500.00 is a good starting point. Looks solid to me.

hello,can you say score? i would work something out. from where im sitting,that thing looks great. as long as the other side looks that good and it isnt hit in the front. there are people out there that would sell their first born for a super clean 64 2 dr HT. especially if it had buckets and console.that car is almost 50 years old and still looks good

64's -- next to 70 B bodies, my 2nd favorite all time body style.

Yea, from the pic that car looks pretty good and he is in the ballpark with his price. However, it looks to me to have the "greenhouse" effect, whereas the cowl leaks into the interior compartment when it rains, then it gets warm outside and the entire interior becomes a steamhouse, and you can guess what happens to the components and soft items inside!!! I'd still be looking into buying that one though!! Good luck with the trade, Geof

-
Back