64 Valiant 360 Swap HELP.

-

Shainesboostin

Reaction score
Looks like I may get a 64 Valiant as my first mopar project. Been looking for along time. WAY out of my knowledge, but I wanna learn. (Only ever built turbo Mitsubishi/Eagles). But grew up around Mopars. So far, I think I would wanna go magnum 360, 904 trans. BUT I have alot of questions. I have searched, just like talking to people about it as well.

First, being a PUSH BUTTON trans, will this be difficult to convert to a floor shifted 904?
Secondly, I would wanna go disc brakes, would it be better to buy a kit, or I believe you can use other later A body stuff.
THIRD, can you just give me some tips on things to do/use?

Congrats on the project. What you want to do has been done many times by many others including myself so fear not. The 360 magnum/904 is a great idea.

Couple ideas for you, others will chime in;

*Exhaust- headers are a pain on these cars. Unless you are wanting to make big power, stick with manifolds.
*Motor mounts- Schumachers.
*Dropped center link if your car is an original slant 6.
*Shifter. Whatever after market floor shifter you like. They are all cable driven.
*Disk brakes- I did the Scarebird conversion but you can swap disks from later A bodies. The later models give you large bolt pattern hubs and better wheel options.
*Rear end- you'll need something stronger than the factory 7 1/4.

your limits are what your wallet can handle , think and search ahead , I got early A body parts mainly barracuda wich is valiant , and if you cant find the answers in here , for A bodies only is an encyclopedia of knowlage dam near anything mopar has been tried , and there really are no stupid questions and just be polite and family and the best knowlage will come out to help you.

My only advice is figure what you think the project will cost. Then triple it.

First, being a PUSH BUTTON trans, will this be difficult to convert to a floor shifted 904? is the car originally a v-8 car or 6cyl? if 6 cyl you'll need a v-8 trans anyway so just buy a non-cable trans.. then it will use any after market floor shifter easily..

Secondly, I would wanna go disc brakes, would it be better to buy a kit, or I believe you can use other later A body stuff.
i like the 73-up stock abody set ups.. most after market kits are just copies of this anyway.. it will ba a large bolt pattern so you'll need to change the rear too.. no big deal and a lot more wheel options out there for large bolt pattern.

THIRD, can you just give me some tips on things to do/use?
its a real easy swap.. stock manifolds will choke that 360 some.. tti and dougs both make headers for that car. make sure the cooling system is up to snuff. k-frame stays the same and schumacher (engine0swaps.com)sells the proper motor mounts for the engine. like stated you'll need a v-8 (drop centerlink) to clear the oil pan..

If the though of putting an electric cooling fan enters your mind, strangle it. No good will come of it, unless you are an engineer. Those guys have all the money and one or two have real thinking mellons.

Running a 360 magnum/LA hybrid, and 904 Hughes Trans and Converter. For the trans, I only had to clearance the floor brace area a little bit, and had a drives haft made for it. Used a B&M cable shifter and it went in with with little hassle. Here's the irritating part. I bought the DOUG'S ceramic long-tube headers for it and I've had to clearance them in MANY spots to clear, and they STILL rub the torsion bar on the passenger side, and are VERY close on the drivers side. They were a HUGE PITA to install, especially with the CPP booster in the way that I put on with the disk brake kit. If I had to do it over, I'd try to find regular manifolds that fit, and not do the power booster.

Running a 360 magnum/LA hybrid, and 904 Hughes Trans and Converter. For the trans, I only had to clearance the floor brace area a little bit, and had a drives haft made for it. Used a B&M cable shifter and it went in with with little hassle. Here's the irritating part. I bought the DOUG'S ceramic long-tube headers for it and I've had to clearance them in MANY spots to clear, and they STILL rub the torsion bar on the passenger side, and are VERY close on the drivers side. They were a HUGE PITA to install, especially with the CPP booster in the way that I put on with the disk brake kit. If I had to do it over, I'd try to find regular manifolds that fit, and not do the power booster.

Shouldn't have had to clearance the trans tunnel to fit a 904. Sure the engine is sitting in the proper location? With having to clearance the tunnel and your header figment issues it sounds like the engine location could be off.

Last edited:
I once put a 340/904 into a 65 Valiant wagon. It was no problem with the 340 engine brackets. At the time, early70's,the only header option was fenderwells. That worked out easy for me.
I'd do it again if I could find a nice roller; but 360 this time.360's rule!

Last edited:
I used the Schumacher conversion mounts. Trans needed very little clearancing but had to near the trans-tunnel brace.

if you go 360/904 in that valiant and want rid of the pushbuttons ( I love em), it will be difficult to find a SB cable shift trany. they are not everywhere. not expensive, just hardish to find... ( hint: I need one).... but if you go with an aftermarket shifter, and use their cable, you can fab it to work ( but NO park?)

like said, pretty much need oem exh, or fender headers ( yuk!)....

if you go 360/904 in that valiant and want rid of the pushbuttons ( I love em), it will be difficult to find a SB cable shift trany. they are not everywhere. not expensive, just hardish to find... ( hint: I need one).... but if you go with an aftermarket shifter, and use their cable, you can fab it to work ( but NO park?)

like said, pretty much need oem exh, or fender headers ( yuk!)....

thats not true. dougs and tti both make under carriage headers for them. you can always find a spitfire header too if you are patient.

I just had a thought.
You know that company,(I can never remember the name), that makes BB headers for A's where the one pipe goes through the apron? I wonder if they'd be willing to make a bunch for you early A guys with sbms . Maybe even to fit all the goodies like P/S and M/Ts. Even if 2 pipes had to go through the apron.
If those came out, I would step up my search for an early A. Specifically a nice roller-wagon. You know those are coming up to 50 years old or so,now.

I seem to recall the Schumacher mounts fudge with the engine height.

Hey Guys:

I have a question, I have a 64 as well and looking at some upgrades what rearends fit these without a lot of work?

Jon

No room up or down with the torsion bar on mine. Freakin' irritating dinging $950 headers.

2016-05-12%2013.53.57_zps545ufgaj.jpg

Whoa!!!!That IS tight!
How did that mark get up so high?

That's got me wondering.
I wonder if the 73 up steering system could be adapted. I put that on my 68 no problems. In your narrower bay, I expect the centerlink will be too wide/long. I expect I could change that.

Last edited:
Super comp fender well headers is what I will be running. I looked at a car just like mine and I love what I see. Our member 66340SEDAN runs them. . Here is his white 66 Valiant and a picture of my headers...let me get off this phone and I will post some pictures of them ..

My headers waiting to be put in, then 66340SEDAN (our member here is the white 66 Valiant pictures

01AAAAAA.jpg

01AAAAAAA.jpg

1535013_1008768765805136_1563774798459049784_n.jpg

Fishypete.jpg

No header pipes hanging low !! Look at that earl A body under neath !

Sorry to hijack this thread a little but are you guys saying you can hook up a floor shifter to a pushbutton trans?

My headers waiting to be put in, then 66340SEDAN (our member here is the white 66 Valiant pictures

i don't like how much ya have to cut to make them fit. even with plates over some of the holes i don't like it.. hell my big block headers needed a lot less of a hole to fit..

64valiant025.jpg

-
Back