64 Valiant power steering

-

HOTROD HARRY

Reaction score
I want to inatsll power steering on my 64 Valiant. I need to know what steering box will fit. I can shorten the collum thanks for your halp
Harry

I want to inatsll power steering on my 64 Valiant. I need to know what steering box will fit. I can shorten the collum thanks for your halp
Harry

Harry! Get a steering box out of a Dart, Barracuda or Dart from 1964 to 1966 and try to get the steering collum as well. It will be a smooth change for you. I'm not sure about the ones from 67 and up.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking the newer Dart up to 72 will be easer to find, I am not sure if the pitman arm will fit. I can shorten the collum to fit and I have a pump from a newer slant six.
Harry

I was thinking this swap from standard to power steering on the early A would a popular topic. I have restored a 64 convertable for 2 ladies. After getting it on the road they would like to have power steering. I am hopeing to do it as reasnable as possable.
Harry

i am curious of the same thing....anyone know if the 67+ parts work on the earlies?

Actually, the accurate steering box interchange is '62-'72 A- and B-body. If you have the money available, get a rebuilt & upgraded box from Firm Feel or Steer & Gear rather than going through the effort to swap in a loose and sloppy used box.

I am assuming your '64 has a slant-6 engine; if not, someone else will have to inform you about brackets and stuff. You can use the P/S pump and bracket from any slant-6; there were various types and styles used over the years. The only thing to watch for is if your '64 has air conditioning, you'll need a different pump pulley and bracket, and then your interchange might narrow down a little because not all the P/S brackets and pumps will clear the '64 A/C compressor + bracketry. Some P/S pumps use a 3/8" ID return hose and some use a larger 15/32" ID return hose; you may need to swap the return nozzle on the P/S box to match up with the return hose nipple on the P/S pump reservoir. Likewise, some P/S pressure hoses have a male-thread invert-flare fitting at the P/S box end, while others have a female. See here for details on how to work with that difference -- it's not difficult. You'll also need the P/S belt drive pulley that bolts onto the front of the crank pulley. They are all the same for all slant-6s. P/S and M/S pitman arms are identical for '62-'66 A-body; no other year or model interchanges on that part.

Thanks Dan
I was hopeing you would see this post. Yes it is a 6. So steering box 62 to 72, use my pitman arm from manual box, I have a pump pully and brackets from 83 Dodge truck, hoses won't be a problem. If I shorten the coloum will the 64 manual cuppler fit?

Harry

So steering box 62 to 72

'62-'72 A- or B-body, right.

use my pitman arm from manual box

If it's good

I have a pump pully and brackets from 83 Dodge truck

Okeh

If I shorten the coloum will the 64 manual cuppler fit?

I'm a leetle grey on that answer. It might, I think it probably will, but in some years a different coupler is listed for power vs. nonpower steer so there may be a difference there. You may want to look at a Borgeson coupler (discussion here) for a probably-superior alternative to a factory-type coupler, but you can also get new factory-type couplers from Steer and Gear, see here. They say their couplers are for '66-'82, but every '65 I've seen and owned has used this kind of coupler, and it's easy to use this kind of coupler in a '62-'64 A-body.

Let us know how it goes!

After parting out several early A cars I found that the manual coupler and power coupler are different shaft size so no they wont interchange. If you had a power coupler you could shorten your shaft.

-
Back