64' Valiant steering box + bolts

-

erikvaliant64

Reaction score
Hi There!

Just joined the forum, looks like an amazing resource.

I have a 64' Valiant I recently purchased that has a loose steering box. It appears two of the bolts are missing (bottom). When I turn the wheel the box actually slightly rotates with the steering linkage. Not good.

I found these bolts on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MADE-IN-USA...ECT-/321207310511?hash=item4ac97298af&vxp=mtr
But it looks like they are for B bodies. Having a hard time to find anything for A bodies pre 66.

I am also considering changing out the box itself, I have read about some close ratio conversions and even power steering conversions. I am fine with the manual steering but a close ration box sounds very appealing.

Do you guys know where I can find the appropriate bolts for the stock box or possibly a new box unit that would be fairly straight forward to bolt in?

Thanks!

- Erik

I think all of the steering box bolts are the same! I have a few from a 66 car if you need them, and also an extra manual gearbox from an early A if needed! Is yours manual or power?? Geof

Hey there cosgig,

I'am definitely interested in the bolts! What type of bolts heads do the 66 car have?

As for the box, I have a manual, not sure if I need to replace it (want to bolt it down properly first) but it is leaking slightly from the seal.

Do you happen to know anything about close ratio manual gearbox's that would fit a 64'?

Firm feel has the fast ratio worm gears for manual boxes. You can DIY or have them build the box for you. I built a 16:1 for my 64 valiant.

Thanks Matto!

That's exactly what I am looking for. Does the box from Firm Feel bolt right into stock linkage?

So I had my friend crank the wheel why i was under the hood and I am pretty sure the flange which the box is bolted to is cracked or has a stress fracture. The steering box is moving and it seems part of the flange which it is bolted to is too. (see pic)

I am just learning about these cars and it appears that this flange is either bolted to the "K" frame directly, or there is a plate between the box and the frame... hoping its a plate so it can be easily replaced.

Also your 64' Valiant is pretty amazing.

- Erik

Attachments

• IMG_3678.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 164
Awwww man. That crack is not good. The steering box is bolted to that flange which is welded to the k frame, no plate. These K frames are known to flex in this area, that's why most people weld reinforcement plates to fully "box" that flange mount in. By the looks of it you are going to have to repair yours with some grinding and welding, or replace the K frame altogether.

Yes, the firm feel boxes are stock mopar boxes that are rebuilt with new worm gears. They will bolt right in with stock linkage and look original.

Thanks for the props Erik!

Also, you may want to check out the sector support kits from FFI as well. Might help with the steering box flex.

This fault was not limited to A-body.
Those bolts backed out and fell out. You'll find the bolt holes in your steering gear box wollered over size and you might find little to no threads left in the holes. Many shops have had to cut into the K member to repair the damage. Some have had to repair or replace the gear box also. The bolt holes in the casting should be a very close fit to the shank of the bolt. Mating surfaces should be flat. Good luck with yours.
Chrysler Corp. provided the majority of funding for research and development of a chemical product to bond threaded hardware. These 3 bolts in their vehicles was their focus/reason. Dupont Chemicals won and retail product was named Lock-Tite.

When I pulled the PS box out of the 65 Dart I'm now cutting up, part of the mounting flange was cracked in two. The PS box was held on by 2 bolts. When I get to the wagon, I'll be checking the mounting area for sure.

Thanks guys, this is great info.

I cleaned the area up with degreaser to get a better look, definitely cracked the mount for the top bolt on the two bolt side.

Debating on the best way to proceed here, I searched around a bit and it looks like K frames, often repaired ones pop up on ebay every now and then. If I could find one I could have it reinforced and then install.

Other approach would be to try and have it repaired, or at least for the time being, while it's still in there, it looks like if you take the header out you could get a grinder and welder in there. I can't weld so I would have to find a shop or ask a friend. Going to ask around to see if there is a shop in SF or the Bay area that would do this type of work.

Either way going to order up one of the Firm Feel 16:1 boxes.

Very cool story about the Lock-tite steering bolt connection redfish!

Just got it back from the shop. Guy was able to weld the mounting bracket back on, wasn't cracked all the way off. One bolt was missing, one was cracked, and one was still on...

Glad I got that fixed! Thanks for the help guys.

-
Back