Status
Not open for further replies.

jedindl

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Contact seller
DC1C8990-B711-4634-A174-5BFC958D23C0.jpeg
Like the one in the picture. I have some spare deflectors I could trade for the trim.

Not sure which year tailgate it's from but the trim looks just about the same on the extra tailgate I have. I can get some pics tomorrow.

Last edited:
I haven't been able to get the tailgate in a position to take any pics - it's sitting at the rear of a bunch of other parts.

OK here are a pic of the tailgate trim

00A23F28-5B5C-496B-B622-780C6D78184C.jpeg

It does have a dent or two in it

34E2DF71-D703-48E4-8E8C-C35D5B223929.jpeg

No idea on how hard it would be to straighten it out - I’m sure it can be done. As you can see it’s still on the tailgate, so I’ll see about removing it for further inspection and difficulty of repair. Located in Virginia about 80 miles west of DC 20 miles south of Winchester.

No idea on how hard it would be to straighten it out - I’m sure it can be done. As you can see it’s still on the tailgate, so I’ll see about removing it for further inspection and difficulty of repair. Located in Virginia about 80 miles west of DC 20 miles south of Winchester.

I am checking elsewhere about straightening.

I am in Saskatchewan but would probably get shipped to Cali.

What you want for it? Got any needs?

I’d sell it but the first two studs snapped right off. Looks like the nuts “welded” themselves to the stud - bet the trim is just pot metal.

Another one snapped off - I know iron and aluminum don’t mix very well. Got to looking at that portion on the stud in the nut and hmmmm aluminum don’t rust! The stud was definitely rusted! I put a magnet on it - yes it sticks. The trim must be some kind of chrome plated low grade iron as it attracts the magnet but doesn’t really want to stick like on the tailgate. I suspect the rest of the nuts will snap off if I can even get to some of them!

Another one snapped off - I know iron and aluminum don’t mix very well. Got to looking at that portion on the stud in the nut and hmmmm aluminum don’t rust! The stud was definitely rusted! I put a magnet on it - yes it sticks. The trim must be some kind of chrome plated low grade iron as it attracts the magnet but doesn’t really want to stick like on the tailgate. I suspect the rest of the nuts will snap off if I can even get to some of them!

Well shoot. I am sure there is some way to replace the studs.

Proceed!

Lol

I did get the trim off and yes it's aluminum. It's fastened with little, and I mean little rectangular clips and 3/8th nuts - both steel so naturally they were rusted together, they snapped off. Get them loose from the trim and slide them off! Something interesting - I was working from the middle out to the end (because I could actually see the middle nuts) and when I snapped off the very lower end nut, the trim came off the tailgate and it's really bowed! Got the other end off and it's bowed in the middle! BTW, the lower hinges got to come off to access the end lower nuts! The factory never even put a nut on the uppers as there is no access!! I'll have a pic or two after I let the phone charge up.

I did get the trim off and yes it's aluminum. It's fastened with little, and I mean little rectangular clips and 3/8th nuts - both steel so naturally they were rusted together, they snapped off. Get them loose from the trim and slide them off! Something interesting - I was working from the middle out to the end (because I could actually see the middle nuts) and when I snapped off the very lower end nut, the trim came off the tailgate and it's really bowed! Got the other end off and it's bowed in the middle! BTW, the lower hinges got to come off to access the end lower nuts! The factory never even put a nut on the uppers as there is no access!! I'll have a pic or two after I let the phone charge up.

Cool. I will make it work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back