64 Wiper arms

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have in the last year or so, taken the wiper arms off 2 64 cars, you know the arm with the screw and that slides onto a tapered splined shaft. I have soaked it in rust penetrant several times, I can not get it off!! Any ideas. I bet there is a 50 year old Mopar tool though!!!!!
Wiper motor and all needs to come out and one arm has a bad spring.

I have in the last year or so, taken the wiper arms off 2 64 cars, you know the arm with the screw and that slides onto a tapered splined shaft. I have soaked it in rust penetrant several times, I can not get it off!! Any ideas. I bet there is a 50 year old Mopar tool though!!!!!
Wiper motor and all needs to come out and one arm has a bad spring.

Have you tried using some Aero-Kroil? It says it does penetrate in very minute crevices. The last time I purchased a can, it was like 9 bucks, its been 10 + yrs ago. You might even
try a brass pin punch on the wiper shaft, using lite raps with a hammer, as it might just jar it enough to come loose for ya. Good luck.

Have you tried using some Aero-Kroil? It says it does penetrate in very minute crevices. The last time I purchased a can, it was like 9 bucks, its been 10 + yrs ago. You might even
try a brass pin punch on the wiper shaft, using lite raps with a hammer, as it might just jar it enough to come loose for ya. Good luck.

I tried a can last year, it did not show me anything just expensive.

I will try the tapping. Thanks

I have used a battery terminal puller a few times. Be gentle on it and tap the sides of the arms also it will pop off.
71YB0jDan1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Amazon.com: CARTMAN Wiper Arm Battery Terminal Bearing Remover Puller Tool : Automotive

I might have a 64 arm on the shelf. If you mangle it let me know and I'll look. Just pay for shipping.

It has a steep taper, so should come off fairly easy once loosened. I have used little 2-arm pullers, but don't recall which ones on which cars. Interestingly, my 1965 Dart and Newport have the straight splined shaft with the secret release tab, while my 1996 Plymouth and 2002 Chrysler went back to the 1964 design of tapered shaft with top securing nut (instead of bolt). Anti-seize grease might work better for next removal, though might make it too sloppy in use.

It has a steep taper, so should come off fairly easy once loosened. I have used little 2-arm pullers, but don't recall which ones on which cars. Interestingly, my 1965 Dart and Newport have the straight splined shaft with the secret release tab, while my 1996 Plymouth and 2002 Chrysler went back to the 1964 design of tapered shaft with top securing nut (instead of bolt). Anti-seize grease might work better for next removal, though might make it too sloppy in use.
Yes it SHOULD come off!!!!! I got them off another 64 B and a 62 A already but these won't budge!

-
Back