'64 wiring harness

-

1964Barracuda

Reaction score
I am considering building (rebuilding) an engine & forward wiring harness for my ’64 Barracuda. Electronic voltage regulator (3438150), Electronic ignition kit (P3690426) and mid ‘70s square back dual field alternator.

Questions:

• Are there any downsides of increasing the wire sizes in the harness (other than cost and weight)? I would increase all wires by one wire size.
  • Does the ’64 use a fusible link? The wiring diagram in FSM does not show one. I believe (if it is required), it would go in the with the Red 12 Ga wire designated A-1A. Photos attached showing the existing wiring harness which does not appear to be a fusible link.

DSCN1512.JPG

Correct or both

Disadvantage of larger wire can also be difficulty in making good crimps. Connections are the weak points. Upsizing the 18s to 16s in most bundles should not be an issue. Headlights, and ignition upsized to 16 where it was 18 IMO would not hurt. However in general I think a headlight harness using relays is a better way to take the load off the main circuit and headlight circuit.

The A1A wire in the photo appears to show heat damage. Could have been due to a short to ground or charging a dead battery from the alternator. The latter case should also show damage on the R6 wire.

-
Back