65 170 1bbl Holley 1920 popping through carb

-

wh23g3g

Reaction score
So I for the most part fixed the exhaust manifold and intake manifold leaks on my 65 Valiant 170. It still leaks in the same spot where the two manifold bolt together eventhough I gooped it up with Copper RTV. Maybe it wasn't fully cured yet but it is a lot quieter. It starts super easy even after it's been sitting for 3 weeks. One pump of the gas and one turn of the key and it fires right up and stays running. It's got good power if you get into it gradually but if you stomp all the way to the floor it will pop out the carb and bog but it didn't stall. I put a remanufactured carb on there about 2 years ago it hasn't seen the road yet until I get this thing finely tuned and brakes working. Does that popping through the carb when I press the gas pedal to the floor mean it's a carb issue or timing? I've got the timing at 2.5 before top center as specified for this year. I played it with at bumped it to 5 and it still did it. Plus it always starts easy, doesn't smoke, or ping when you press the gas.

Sounds like a lean missfire, or possibly an intake valve issue. You did say you had intake leak problems. So fix the leaks first. Then if it still does it, (with fresh fuel) then check the accelerator pump system. Actually, check the pump-shot first. Its cheaper and easier.Then do a compression test.Then the intake, unless the comp. test finds a bad cylinder. If I remember right, those early slants had solid lifters requiring periodic adjustments. So to recap; pumpshot,fresh fuel, comp. test/set valves and fix intake leaks.While the plugs are out,make sure all the gaps are correct. I only ever had 4 slantys, and the all took WOT from idle without complaint. Also, IIRC, theres supposed to be a stainless steel gasket between the manifolds under the carb. "Goop" is probably not the best there.Make sure your exhaust is not plugged. Good luck.

-
Back