65/66 Dart Tail Lamp Bulb?

-

mopowers

Reaction score
I noticed my '66 Dart FSM doesn't specify what tail lamp bulbs to use for the single filament bulbs in the deck lid. It calls for 1034 for the tail, stop, and turn bulb, but nothing for the corresponding deck lid tail lamp bulb.

Do you guys happen to know which single filament bulb will provide equivalent light power as the low side of the 1034 (or 1157) bulb? The 1156 seems way too bright. It looks like to low filament of the 1034 and 1157 bulb are only around 8 watts. Anyone know of a single filament bulb that's around 8 watts? @slantsixdan - maybe you know? Your inbox is full by the way.

Thank you!

Maybe a 1073. It is listed as same watts as 1034 but I'm not sure what base socket it is.

I noticed my '66 Dart FSM doesn't specify what tail lamp bulbs to use for the single filament bulbs in the deck lid. It calls for 1034 for the tail, stop, and turn bulb, but nothing for the corresponding deck lid tail lamp bulb.

Do you guys happen to know which single filament bulb will provide equivalent light power as the low side of the 1034 (or 1157) bulb? The 1156 seems way too bright. It looks like to low filament of the 1034 and 1157 bulb are only around 8 watts. Anyone know of a single filament bulb that's around 8 watts? @slantsixdan - maybe you know? Your inbox is full by the way.

Thank you!
It's an odd part number if I remember. It has to match the tail light filament in the body side bulb which is a dual filament. I always wanted to string another wire and put dual filament bulbs in the trunk lid. Tail lights would be the same but you would have dual brake and turn signal. Kind of the same deal with rewiring the front park lights so they stay on with the headlights.

1034 I think
I think 1034 is a dual filament. Dang, I bet my owners manual is in the glove box in the storage garage. Let me see if I can find it in the service manual.

Can't find it in the FSM

1095 matches up with the 1157 filament

"Very tough bulb to find. I have 3,000 of them in stock. Sold by the 10-pack only. 10-pack costs, believe it or don't, $19.66.

Just FYI, the "output of 0.51w" is not correct. The 1095 is a 7.1w bulb (14v, 0.51A) with an output of 50 lumens, or 4cp." @slantsixdan quote.

Yes, 1095 is the one and only correct bulb for this application. 1073 will fit, but is multiple times too bright.

1095: 4 candlepower
1034 or 1157 dim (tail) mode: 3 candlepower
1034 or 1157 bright (brake) mode: 32 candlepower
1073 or 1156: 32 candlepower

Looks like this outfit has 1095s in stock, and there are old-stock/surplus finds to be found, like this. Otherwise, about the closest you're going to get in a current-production, easily-found bulb is an R5W (4 candlepower, filament located closer to base than in the 1095…might or might not have a large effect on the lit appearance of the lamp).

Yes, 1095 is the one and only correct bulb for this application. 1073 will fit, but is multiple times too bright.

Looks like this outfit has 1095s in stock, and there are old-stock/surplus finds to be found, like this. Otherwise, about the closest you're going to get in a current-production, easily-found bulb is an R5W (4 candlepower, filament located closer to base than in the 1095…might or might not have a large effect on the lit appearance of the lamp).
Thanks Dan. I appreciate you stopping in with your knowledge.

Yeah, thanks Dan! Yep, I guess I need to pick up (or try to pick up) some 1095 bulbs.

@toolmanmike - which bulbs do you run in your decklid? Do you notice a difference in light level? I do kind of like the idea of wiring in some dual filaments so they match the outer lamps. I may do that.

Well bummer. Both of those sources you linked for the 1095s is out of stock. I may have to give those R5Ws a shot. Thanks again.

I tried searching eBay. I'm good at it, or at least I was; a year or two or five ago, I would have been able to get some good results. Now the search function is broken to the point of uselessness—hundreds of irrelevant results because the algorithms and "artificial intelligence" override your search string, plus a bunch of "sponsored" results (i.e., spam), plus sellers including a bunch of bogus keywords in their auctions (which now go through an "artificial intelligence" "listing assistant", so who's actually larding them up with the bogus keywords?). Searching 1195 (bulb,bulbs) -LED gets 1156 bulbs, 1157 bulbs, a bunch of "LED bulbs", fenders for '47 Buicks, box fans, mason jar lids, action figures, stuffed animals.

Trying harder doesn't help; (GE,general electric,sylvania,ACDelco,Delco,AC,Guide,Westinghouse,Philips,Wagner,Tung-Sol) 1095 (bulb,bulbs) gets fewer results, but still nothing relevant.

…and the enshittification of the internet carries on.

You might also check out using a #67 in those taillights. Might be a hair too bright, but, the advantage to using them is that the bulb is shorter, so, it sits farther from the lens and won't melt/warp it on a long night drive. Might be worth a look. Just swap one from your license plate light to test out if you like it or not.

67 has the same 4cp output as R5W, but has a plain brass base instead of nickel-plated noncorroding, sloppier filament placement tolerances, and shorter lifespan.

There ain't-never-was no lens melting hazard from the specified 1095 bulb; it doesn't get nearly hot enough to pose any such risk. Put an 1156 or similar in there (same size as 1095, much hotter and brighter) and you're getting a lot closer to the danger zone.

Agreed, but, many people have used the 1073 in that socket (along with other models like my '66 Barracuda lower taillight) and had lens melting issues. My point was, if you can't find the 1095 bulb, don't just plug a 1073 in it's place. Use something shorter and/or less candlepower/wattage until you can get the proper one.

Some models are more prone to this problem than others, so YMMV.

Yeah, thanks Dan! Yep, I guess I need to pick up (or try to pick up) some 1095 bulbs.

@toolmanmike - which bulbs do you run in your decklid? Do you notice a difference in light level? I do kind of like the idea of wiring in some dual filaments so they match the outer lamps. I may do that.
I have the 1095's. I haven't done any wiring yet.

If someone has a source for 1095's, I'll buy ya a beer! haha
Well I looked where I keep my bulbs and I didn't find any extra. I thought I had bought a box of 10. :BangHead:

Agreed, but, many people have used the 1073 in that socket (along with other models like my '66 Barracuda lower taillight) and had lens melting issues.

Well…yeah, if you use the wrong bulb, there are gonna be consequences.

My point was, if you can't find the 1095 bulb, don't just plug a 1073 in it's place.

That sounds like something I might say!

:lol:

Just brainstorming here, but couldn't I just snip the single filament socket and replace it with another 1157 dual filament socket and just use an 1157 bulb with just the low side wired? Would there be a downside to doing this?

-
Back