65 904 push button swap to column shift

-

jshank1991

Reaction score
Hi there I have a 72 dart swinger slant six automatic car I purchased a 65 904 trans with push button is there a way to change the trans to linkage shift? Or will a b/m floor cable shifter be easier.

16954202285608047833353866792582.jpg

16954203108593846857659752506917.jpg

You're better off finding a 68-newer trans for more than one reason.
Among the others is what year engine that you are wanting to run. If the engine is 68- newer the crank pilot hole where the nub on the converter rides is a bigger diameter than 67-older. Going that way is an easier thing to fix than a newer trans/older engine.
THAT combo isn't happening without a custom built converter. If you have a 68-newer engine and wany to run a 67-older trans there is a sleeve that you can get to knock in to the crank pilot so the converter snout centers up properly. A couple members here had them available. Check with @Charrlie_S and @slant six.

No. First, that's not a pushbutton transmission. 1964 was the last year. What you have is a cable shift transmission, but in 1965 it was either column or floor shift. So, your only options are to use THAT transmission are, find an original 1965 A body column shift automatic column, or find a 1965 cable shift floor shifter. Your third option is to get the later model transmission, although "I" would get the 71 and up version so you will have the part throttle kickdown valve body. That makes for a nice transmission.

Going to a later trans is your best bet. However, if you got the shift and park cables with that trans, and they are in good shape, you can recover the money spent on the cable shift trans. Also if you have the room to store the early trans, people do look for them on occasion.
PS: I know some one in Texas that might be interested in the cable trans. I sent him a message.

Last edited:
Going to a later trans is your best bet. However, if you got the shift and park cables with that trans, and they are in good shape, you can recover the money spent on the cable shift trans. Also if you have the room to store the early trans, people do look for them on occasion.
PS: I know some one in Texas that might be interested in the cable trans. I sent him a message.
I dont have the cables they removed them with the park cable housing. I mauled it over in my head last night thinking of ways to just make it work but getting a later year trans seems like the best option thanks for the info and advice I will store it for now until I find a buyer I also have a np435 4 speed slant 6 truck trans that came with engine if anyone is interested.

20230921_100459.jpg

20230921_100512.jpg

-
Back