65 and 64 valiant parts interchange

-

ike61

Reaction score
will the hood and decklid from a 65 valiant fit on a 64 valiant?

63 on 63 only, 66 on 66 only,:mrgreen: I believe 64 65 are the same
Let's wait on a good tech to jump in here and lets be sure :???:

will the hood and decklid from a 65 valiant fit on a 64 valiant?

I believe the hood is the same between 64 and 65, but the decklid on sedans, coupes and convertibles will almost certainly be different.

IIRC, there are 2 decklids - 63-64 and 65-66. The 63-64 style curves down between the fins, while the 65-66 style has a squared-off edge at the rear. The 2 styles do not appear to be interchangeable. Can somebody who has ready access to both years please confirm this.

There is so much wrong info in the list above I almost don't know where to begin! I guess I'll start at the top and work my way down.....
The '65 904 trans will fit a push button '63-4 trans if you swap valve bodies.
The manual transmissions are '63-5 and '66 by itself (later will work to but we're just talking '63-6 models in this rant.....)
Not all slant 6 engine parts are the same and/or interchange
'63-6 all had 9" brakes. starting in '65 they had a 10" brake option and disc brake option.
'64-5 Barracuda and '65 Valiant used the same fender.
'66 Valiant and Barracuda don't have front valances....only a grille/bumper filler.
'64-5 Valiant and Barracuda use the same hood but '64 Valiant is by itself.
'63 Doors are unique due to their latches. '64-5 interchange. '66 has different door locks and hinges
'63-4 trunk lids are different than the '65-6 lids
'66 Valiants and Barracudas don't have rear valances.
'63 Valiant front bumper is unique. '64-5 Val/Cuda same, '66 by itself.
'63-5 rears interchange, '66 by itself.
Back glass is '63-5 on Valiants with '66 by itself
Some chrome trim interchanges with other years but it will depend on the exact one.
Dash pads on some Dart models have a different appearence.
Hey most everything else is correct! :)

There is so much wrong info in the list above I almost don't know where to begin! I guess I'll start at the top and work my way down.....
The '65 904 trans will fit a push button '63-4 trans if you swap valve bodies.
The manual transmissions are '63-5 and '66 by itself (later will work to but we're just talking '63-6 models in this rant.....)
Not all slant 6 engine parts are the same and/or interchange
'63-6 all had 9" brakes. starting in '65 they had a 10" brake option and disc brake option.
'64-5 Barracuda and '65 Valiant used the same fender.
'66 Valiant and Barracuda don't have front valances....only a grille/bumper filler.
'64-5 Valiant and Barracuda use the same hood but '64 Valiant is by itself.
'63 Doors are unique due to their latches. '64-5 interchange. '66 has different door locks and hinges
'63-4 trunk lids are different than the '65-6 lids
'66 Valiants and Barracudas don't have rear valances.
'63 Valiant front bumper is unique. '64-5 Val/Cuda same, '66 by itself.
'63-5 rears interchange, '66 by itself.
Back glass is '63-5 on Valiants with '66 by itself
Some chrome trim interchanges with other years but it will depend on the exact one.
Dash pads on some Dart models have a different appearence.
Hey most everything else is correct! :)
wow you know a lot about these

Resurrecting an old thread because I couldn't find the answer anywhere else...

What is the interchange for quarter panels between Barracudas and Valiants? Can I put a 63 or 64 Valiant quarter panel on a 65 Barracuda? Looks like the taillight opening might be different. Any other differences? Will a 65 Valiant quarter panel fit a 65 Barracuda?

Last edited:
Glad there are enough of us to keep such info straight.
Thanks for being another walking database.

Resurrecting an old thread because I couldn't find the answer anywhere else...

What is the interchange for quarter panels between Barracudas and Valiants? Can I put a 63 or 64 Valiant quarter panel on a 65 Barracuda? Looks like the taillight opening might be different. Any other differences? Will a 65 Valiant quarter panel fit a 65 Barracuda?

As an outer repair panel, it should work for you if you're willing to rework the taillight area and don't need the upper sail panel section. A whole quarter from a '63 will have a different door striker area than the later models. Naturally, there are a variety of different mouldings and you'll want to match body types..... hardtop to hardtop, sedan to sedan, convertible to convertible, etc, to save problems in the quarter glass and beltline/roofline area.

Why do you have to change the valve bodies i'm puttin a 65 model in my 63 and everything from the 63 everything looks the same and the cables hooked right up
I went through a lot with a cable shift in my 65 GT.... I don't think there should be any difference until 1966. 65 was last year for cable shift, no pushbutton that year.
The GT has a little console stick shift.
I THINK the National Traffic Highway Safety Association and others had decided to mandate the P-R-N-D-D2-D1 shift standard as enough accidents had occurred as a result of unintended gear selection.
65 was last flat plate output intended for ball and trunion drive shaft.
Others?

I went through a lot with a cable shift in my 65 GT.... I don't think there should be any difference until 1966. 65 was last year for cable shift, no pushbutton that year.
The GT has a little console stick shift.
I THINK the National Traffic Highway Safety Association and others had decided to mandate the P-R-N-D-D2-D1 shift standard as enough accidents had occurred as a result of unintended gear selection.
65 was last flat plate output intended for ball and trunion drive shaft.
Others?
yea i'm goin to stay with the ball and trunnion with mine rebuilt on both end got a kit that had everything front and back joints,I even sanded it and buffed it look like it chrome put clear on it show it will stay awhile.....LOL

IMG_2775.JPG
anyone know where i can find a seat or cover for 1966 valiant

Why do you have to change the valve bodies i'm puttin a 65 model in my 63 and everything from the 63 everything looks the same and the cables hooked right up
Use the 63 valve body, or swap out the "manual" valve, and "comb". The 65 valve body has 6 detents, where the 63 valve body has 5 detents

Why do you have to swap the valve body? See here.

Why were the pushbuttons dropped? It was not because of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (which didn't exist until 1970, and its precursor agencies didn't exist til '67). Chrysler dropped the pushbuttons after the 1964 model year—that is two years before the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act, and four years before the advent of the first Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. Chrysler’s takeup of shift levers had nothing to do with any Federal safety standards; none existed at the time. It was primarily because they felt with conventional controls they’d sell more Chrysler vehicles to driver’s-ed programs, and this was considered crucial because it was some of a new driver’s first real vehicle exposure, which was thought to be foundational for vehicle preferences.

Moreover, the pushbuttons were regarded as something of a played-out fad; they’d been introduced in 1956. They were dependable and didn’t make trouble (unlike the Rube Goldberg electrical crapmesses on the Edsel and Packard), and were regarded, even by Ralph Nader, as safer than a lever. But the tailfins-and-pushbuttons-for-everything age was in the rearview mirror.

The actual safety standards influence on automatic transmission controls was to force GM to change. Many GM quadrants were arranged P—N-D-L-R. This was (correctly) regarded as dangerous because a forward and reverse position were immediately adjacent with no effective lockout. In the absence of Federal vehicle safety standards, the Goods and Services Administration drew up their own list of standard equipment required on cars purchased by the government. The list included front and rear seatbelts, nonglare windshield wiper arms, windshield washers, a driver’s sideview mirror, reversing lamps, and automatic transmission controls with no forward and reverse position immediately adjacent. The GSA requirements had the effect of making those items standard equipment even for cars not bought by the government (automakers weren't about to make government and non-government versions of their cars), which is why things like backup lights and sideview mirrors and screenwashers moved off many models’ option list for ’66 and became basic equipment. GM, having previously issued smug dictates that they were the market leader, so the rest of the industry was just going to have to go along with the GM way, were forced to adopt the safer P—R-N-D-L. When Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard № 102 then came in, it stipulated that a neutral position shall be located between forward drive and reverse drive positions, re-sealing the fate of GM’s unsafe design.

History repeats itself: now we have new Lincolns and some other vehicles with electric pushbuttons arranged P-R-N-D-L.

-
Back