65 and back floor shift console ??

-

barracudadave67

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Has any one Used/installed the smaller 65, and back automatic shift console, in a 66 A-Body,???. I do not like the big coffin style in in the 66s, they're to big and take up to much room. I was thinking of using the 65 style in my 66-Dart GT. Was wondering if any one has done/ tried this in their 66s,???. Would you need different mounting brackets, and such,??. I'm thinking I would in the least have to make/obtain the mounting brackets from a 65 and back doner car. Just thought a 65 shift console would be nicer.

barracudadave67

more problems than that--- the 65 is set-up for the discontinued cable shift transmissions. so the detent is specific to that transmission..

there is a discussion thread on this -- but most people have not ventured off in that direction.. In fact someone uses that style console with an aftermarket shifter in their ride. it looks good.

I'll try to hunt that thread up & the picture-- Lawrence

By the way that is a 65-only piece. No, I've never tried to fit one because I like the 66-up console. I did have an interesting 66-up console that had been cut at the parting line between the shifter plate and glove box lid. You might want to consider that. It actually looked original until I inspected it closely. I did sell it several years ago.

Attachments

• P7300990.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 233
  • P7300991.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 222
  • P7300992.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 239
  • P7300993.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 200
  • P7300996.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 226
Not to hijack but......what aftermarket shifter are folks using in that '65 console?
Bob

Not to hijack but......what aftermarket shifter are folks using in that '65 console?
Bob

I'd be interested in that as well, especially if it looks similar to an original shifter.

ok i opened my mouth -- here is the picture-- i'll dig up the thread & link it as soon as i find it.
I've searched & cannot find the thread -- but i saved the picture from it-- so it can be done-- mind you this would not be with a 1965 transmission.

Lawrence

Attachments

• aaa.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 222
The 65 console shifter is a cable shifter the uses 2 cables to operate the 65 and older 904 (cable) Transmissions, where as the 66 and later 904 use a single rod. So the 65 shifter itself probably won't work without some major modifications. You could always go with an aftermarket shift with it's own console, but the you have to change a lot. One of the reasons the console (in a 66) is so big because it covers the linkage which goes several inches in front of the shifter and then goes into a big hole in the floor (trans tunnel). If you went with with a smaller console you'll end up covering that hole, cutting of all the original console mounting backet (which are welded to the floor) and not to mention dealing with the big hole in the carpet where the old shifter an linkage polked through.

you can get a cable to use the 65 shifter with the 66+ up trans. I cant remember the name of the company but it can be done. I have one I was going to do the same thing with. I believe the cable is 150-175 ish. that's why I just used an aftermarket shifter in mine.

and I have the shifter & brackets if you need them. not to far from you either.

I've got all the linkage for the 66 set up, I was hoping to use the small 65 console that I have, in stead of the big 66 box. This is for an 66 GT W/ buckets, that I am re doing the body on.

When I took all the console, and linkage out , it was all underneath the hump. only thing on top was, the upside down V bracket, that's why I thought they're might be a way to use an older small console. I was hoping to just use the 65 box over the V bracket somehow, with just the lever coming thru it, for an posistion indicator. May be I'll have to go after market, when I get that far.

The inside of the car is empty, as I just finished the floor boards, inside, and out, with epoxy primer, and new red single stage urethane. This is a long term body redo project. Next are the lower quarters.

barracudadave67 aka Dave C.

you can get a cable to use the 65 shifter with the 66+ up trans. I cant remember the name of the company but it can be done.

That would be Imperial Services. They have a cable set-up to use the original shifter with a later transmission. In addition, a valve body mod needs to be done. They also supply the part. I will be using a later model 904 behind a 340 and use the original shifter in my 65 GT. I had Proformance Transmission (a subsidary of Dynamic Convertors) rebuild and upgrade my 904 and do the mod at the same time. Am no where near ready for that stage so I can't report on how well it works.

I will be putting a B&M quick silver shifter up thru that exact console. i will be fabricating my own shift arm and installing the console with a bench seat. its a pretty basic project. I did it with a 67 console in my dart.

then i scrapped the entire console idea and built my own shift cover.

Say that's a cool looking shifter and cover - great job.

I like the look of that packet of Quaker Oats - we can't get them Downunder - ours are called "Uncle Tobys".

-
Back