65 Barracuda A 904LA trans. leakage problem

-

JeffreyLee

1965 Barracuda
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I am working my way through a restoration on my 65 Cuda. As I am working under the car, I found lots of pink colored fluid clinging to the undercarriage. Upon further inspection, there is a good sized gash in a line leading to the back part of the transmission. my Cuda has a 318 V-8 with what I guess is a A904LA tourqueflite trans.
IMG_8846.JPG

Can you guys help me identify the ripped section pictured and if that is the source of my leak?
IMG_8850.JPG

The ripped cable leads to this box at the back of the trans.
IMG_8847.JPG

How do I go about replacing this offending part?

That cable leads to the park part of the transmission. FWIW the other cable goes to the R, N, D, 2, 1. At one time Imperial Services might have reproduced the cable but not sure now. If not then your only solution would be to find a good used one. There are 2 different cables - one for column shift and one for floor shift so if you do a WANTED ad, specify which you need. Good luck with your search!

If you cannot find a cable, and IF you can get the cable out of the rear of the trans, get some heat shrink tubing, that has sealer inside. Put it over the cable, and heat it with a heat gun. That will seal the leak. If you try this, I highly recommend you get a factory service manual, and read the procedure for removing the cable. Do it wrong and you will open a can of worms.

It seems obvious, but is this where all of that trans fluid is leaking from?

Probably but Not necessarily. I would thoroughly clean everything then you would have a better chance of locating the leak. Other possibilities include the pan gasket, the where the shifter cable enters the transmission, the kickdown area, a bad O Ring on the speedometer pinion housing and least likely (but possible) a crack in the torque converter where it enters the pump (was source of my leak on an Aspen I owned).

-
Back