65 barracuda black box

-

jebjacksonlee

Reaction score
ok, there is an about 10"x10" black box with 2 holes (possibly looks like for vacuum hoses) in the engine compartment on drivers side fender.. What is this for, I can't figure it out?? Thanks for any help

I have no idea what you are talking about. Here is my 65 Barracuda that I am stripping and don't have a "black box".

Attachments

• Inner fender.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 384
  • Engine bay.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 388
i've noticed alot of them don't have it. Does yours have power brakes? (for some reason I can't see the pic). If this is for power brakes, can it be replaced because it's welded on there? Thanks

Like was said before it's for power brakes. Not sure how it's mounted but would be real surprised if it was welded on.

Attachments

• 1966 Mauve Formula S 003.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 377
if you cant see the bolts from the engine compartment then there will be nuts inside the fenderwell?????
Like was said before it's for power brakes. Not sure how it's mounted but would be real surprised if it was welded on.

In 1965 no power brakes in any Barracudas, mine is a formula s and had no power brakes. If any were to have it mine would have as it had everything they came with as the top end model. Power brakes were a very rare or not existent in early 65 vehicles. I have since upgraded mine to front disc brakes and dual master cylinder and it stops great no need for power brakes at all, in fact I wouldnt want it. I enjoy the feel of my brakes as it is. The joy of feeling the road in early cars is why we love to drive them the most, in my opinion! What I hate the most is todays cars have no feel at all of the road period. My dad has a 2009 cadillac and it is a great car but you feel nothing driving it going down the road. I loved driving my 66 and now my 65 cudas as you feel the road when you drive. I always loved older nice cars also feeling the road when you drive. Today people do not even remember what this is...its ashame in my own opnion....

My 65 Commando has power brakes and the vaccum box. The box has 2 studs and is bolted through the fender. You can get to the bolts from the wheel well.

Yes, my 65 is factory, so they did come in 65.

Nope....I took one off of a 1965 Barracuda Formula S in a junkyard, car was all original with power disc brakes. My dads friend also has a 65-S with the same box on his, also has power brakes, factory equipped.

In 1965 no power brakes in any Barracudas, mine is a formula s and had no power brakes. If any were to have it mine would have as it had everything they came with as the top end model. Power brakes were a very rare or not existent in early 65 vehicles. I have since upgraded mine to front disc brakes and dual master cylinder and it stops great no need for power brakes at all, in fact I wouldnt want it. I enjoy the feel of my brakes as it is. The joy of feeling the road in early cars is why we love to drive them the most, in my opinion! What I hate the most is todays cars have no feel at all of the road period. My dad has a 2009 cadillac and it is a great car but you feel nothing driving it going down the road. I loved driving my 66 and now my 65 cudas as you feel the road when you drive. I always loved older nice cars also feeling the road when you drive. Today people do not even remember what this is...its ashame in my own opnion....

...I loved driving my 66 and now my 65 cudas as you feel the road when you drive. I always loved older nice cars also feeling the road when you drive. Today people do not even remember what this is...its ashame in my own opnion....

I've only ever driven modern cars, and look forward to the day I get my '65 Cuda back on the road for this reason alone...I hope it's an experience similar to going from rollerblades to ice-hockey skates.

My 65 Commando has power brakes and the vaccum box. The box has 2 studs and is bolted through the fender. You can get to the bolts from the wheel well.

Yes, my 65 is factory, so they did come in 65.

I'll second that. My '65 Formula "S" has power brakes and vacuum box as well! And it was built in Dec. of '64.

I have a 65 with power brakes factory and it is a code on the fender tag so yes the 65 was offered with power brakes factory.

wow I learn new things every day I have seen many but never ones with power brakes, must have been a rarer option? I would love to see a picture of one just for the view to look for one in the future. I know my 66 and 65 stop great without it, as i drag raced the 66 ran in the low 13's and high 12's right around 100mph in the 1/4 mile no problem with drum front brakes. I now love the conversion on the 65 formula s to front disc brakes though with a dual master cylinder also safety on the road is the main concern now as I learned the hard way with my 66 one day when the single master cylinder puked on me. Needless to say it was good the hand brake worked and a hill was there only some minor denting occured...one learns the hard way needless to say...LOL

Vacume canisters were included on power brake Formula S and Dart GTs with the Commando option. Yes 65s had power brakes however I belive they had to be ordered. Reason was to assist with more vacume due to the duration of the hotter Hipo cam. I've seen those cars converted to the power brakes and it turns out they didn't need the canister in that the commando motor produced sufficient vacume for the power brakes. The Commando 273 on the 67 model year cars didn't have that canister.

Vacume canisters were included on power brake Formula S and Dart GTs with the Commando option. Yes 65s had power brakes however I belive they had to be ordered. Reason was to assist with more vacume due to the duration of the hotter Hipo cam. I've seen those cars converted to the power brakes and it turns out they didn't need the canister in that the commando motor produced sufficient vacume for the power brakes. The Commando 273 on the 67 model year cars didn't have that canister.

I have one from a 66 Valiant Signet, the car had no engine with I think it had a 273 2bbl engine originally. Did they come this way on a non-hipo 273 car? It was a very early 66 built car too.

I have one from a 66 Valiant Signet, the car had no engine with I think it had a 273 2bbl engine originally. Did they come this way on a non-hipo 273 car? It was a very early 66 built car too.

The information I have is they only came on the Commando cars due to the low vacume signal from the hotter cam. Of course never say never. Suppose one could order it if they wanted or have the dealer install one.

My 66 barracuda is a factory 273 2 barrel with factory power brakes and power steering and came with the "black box". If that helps at all.

Aloha Mike

The 1965 Red Barracuda I owned, is a factory 273 2 barrel with power steering, NO power brakes and came with the "black box" ??? Maybe the power brakes system was removed? But the "black box" was there and I made sure it wasn't lost when rebuilding the motor. I am just saying!

So when I got my 65 Dart it had a one gallon coffey can with a fitting brazed to it mounted on the passenger side fender well. I though the dude was full of somthing when he said it was there to store vacume. Guess I might have been wrong.

-
Back