65 Barracuda console shifter help please

-

memike

Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have chosen my console for my 66 Valiant.
My problem is that I don't have the cable for it and from what I have seen I need two cables
Any help how to convert this shifter to my 66 904 transmission would sure help, I hope I can use it.

Thank you .

I thought I had pictures, I will get some today, I do have the 65 floor hump with console connections on it I can put on my center hump.

64-65 are two cables, 66 is different if i remember correctly. 64-5 is the small console with the ball/trunnion driveshaft ( no slip yoke ). I have a complete set up out of a 65 barracuda ( minus kickdown ) if you need it.

64-65 are two cables, 66 is different if i remember correctly. 64-5 is the small console with the ball/trunnion driveshaft ( no slip yoke ). I have a complete set up out of a 65 barracuda ( minus kickdown ) if you need it.
That's great, I have a 85 or 4 model 904 in my 66 now, I removed the three on the tree and clutch and brake pedal, is there a way to make the 65 shifter work ?

Resized_20200222_184300.jpeg

Imperial Services lists a kit- it's about halfway down the page.
Imperial Services - '60-'76 A-Body Parts
But, it's listed as currently unavailable. And pricey. And their service has been, shall we say, "spotty" at best for the last few years... You could try calling them, phone # is at upper left corner of page.
But if you look closely at the picture and description you might be able to come up with something on your own.
Good luck!

A possible "Plan B" :
Swap the guts from something like a Hurst Pro-Matic (or similar) into the '65 console?
'65:
OIP.crZA3j95NoHtKqoeZegYRQHaJ4?w=122&h=180&c=7&o=5&dpr=1.1&pid=1.jpg

Hurst:
th?id=OP.%2fkLBVoLRaosY5A474C474&o=5&pid=21.1&w=128&h=128&qlt=100&dpr=1.jpg

from the looks of that conversion cable kit, maybe you could fab up your own with a cable and trans bracket from an aftermarket shifter.
the trans end looks like most aftermarket shifters?

I have the exact same issue and inperial showed it as not available 3-4 years ago. I havent got to that point yet, but im sure i will figure it out. My Barracuda slipped down a couple notches in my project lineup.

Mike.....I think @pishta might have done the Hurst under a factory 65 console switcheroo before. I am planning to do this exact same thing to my 65 Barracuda. Maybe he can edumacate both of us! :)

yeah, I did it on a 67 transmission. Sawzall the factory shifter "hangers" from the tunnel and just mount it as you would any other shifter. Take the measurement where the cable will go through the tunnel and drill a 1/2 hole, then put a big ol screwdriver or punch in there and bend that bad boy back horizontally so the front lip is taller than the back and the cable will slide right in at ride height and angle. The factory cover fit right over the new Pro-matic II and a few minor shims and everything lines up. You lose the ashtray as there is a linkage track right under there but gut the bottom an just keep it closed! you can even mount the factory ball if you drill and tap it as its a slot and set screw on the OEM. You'll have the valet parkers squirming when they try and get that **** in gear!
:rofl:

yeah, I did it on a 67 transmission. Sawzall the factory shifter "hangers" from the tunnel and just mount it as you would any other shifter. Take the measurement where the cable will go through the tunnel and drill a 1/2 hole, then put a big ol screwdriver or punch in there and bend that bad boy back horizontally so the front lip is taller than the back and the cable will slide right in at ride height and angle. The factory cover fit right over the new Pro-matic II and a few minor shims and everything lines up. You lose the ashtray as there is a linkage track right under there but gut the bottom an just keep it closed! you can even mount the factory ball if you drill and tap it as its a slot and set screw on the OEM. You'll have the valet parkers squirming when they try and get that **** in gear!
:rofl:
I think I understand, I need to loose the 65 shifter all together and put the Pro-Matic in under the 65 console??
Thank you @pishta , I will get my shifter out of the box and look at it closer today.

Thanks to everyone here for there help and input

10-4, the 80's trans only takes 1 standard push/pull cable. Try and route away from any exhaust and use metal zip ties or better, metal tabs off bolts to keep it looped and away from the cable killing headers. Melted more than 1 cable on the exhaust.

-
Back