65 Barracuda driver's side fender too hot to touch

-

dibbons

Reaction score
My 65 Formula S Barracuda has a very hot fender on the driver's side after driving on the freeway for about 15 minutes. I can also feel heat coming through the floorboard. Short history of the car: Purchased with a 1980 vintage 318 that did not run and which was found with one piston with a small hole burned through the top of the piston. I rebuilt this same 318 (bored .040 over) to stock specifications.(Note: The radiator was recored and a dual exhaust system was installed at the time of the rebuild). The motor starts and runs fine, but the extreme heat on the firewall and fender has me concerned. I am using stock exhaust manifolds. What is the source of the underhood heat problem?

Stuck heat riser valve on the passenger exhaust manifold sending all the exhaust out the driver's side?

That's just a wild guess and I'm not all that confident with it so take it for what it's worth.

I would pick up a cheep heat gun from Harbor Freight and check the temp on both manifolds when running. That will tell you if one side is hotter that the other, and will let you know if the heat riser is stuck. That would be were I would start any way

i'd be going thru the carb, rich or lean on one side causing that or the heat riser stuck???

Stuck heat riser valve on the passenger exhaust manifold sending all the exhaust out the driver's side?

That's just a wild guess and I'm not all that confident with it so take it for what it's worth.

i would second that ,i had a stuck flap in the exhaust, took it out and put a couple of nuts and bolts in

Probably is a stuck heat riser valve but can someone please explain to me how the exhaust heat gets from the passenger side to the drivers side?

Goes across threw the bottom of the intake. There is a port in one of the middle exhaust ports in each head. The riser closes and forces it to go across to the other side. Warms the intake for quicker warm up. Speed junkies like me block the ports off in the intake to keep the heat out.

Probably is a stuck heat riser valve but can someone please explain to me how the exhaust heat gets from the passenger side to the drivers side?

Retarded ignition timing after burns the fuel in the exhaust creating significant heating. A good way to burn up headers. It could be that both sides are heating however the drivers side air flow is restricted by the steering gear, column, and master cylinder compared to the more open passenger side.

I had the same problem happen to me with a stuck butterfly in the heat riser. I did not have any high temps like that on the drivers manifold though. I had I oil consumptioin 1 quart for every 100 miles while driving ie Carlisle from VA Beach. Turns out the butterfly was stuck closed. So only so much exhaust could go up and over the intake manifold, the rest I think was making it way back up the valves and I think beating up the valve seals. The passenger seals had 10x the wear than the drivers. I cut out the riser and tapped and bolted the holes closed. After a complete upper end rebuild, it runs so much better now, sounds better, performance off the charts. I just need to go on a long run for the oil consumption, I think I am ok, I have no smoke anymore out the tail pipe. the Choke is ok I didn't see much of an issue. I did however had some comprssion loss on the passenger side, not much but some.

Thanks for the ideas. My exhaust manifold temperatures at idle read up to and over 700 degress at idle, with the drivers side actually 50-100 degress cooler. (My 1996 3.9L Dodge Dakota exhaust manifolds read a little over 400 for comparison) The heat riser valve is stuck but in the OPEN position. The timing is about 15 degrees BTDC with about 35 total with the vacuum advance plugged. Connecting the vacuum advance made no change in timing. I have not checked the air fuel ratio yet. According to a Wikipedia article on exhaust, primary pipes too large for the application will slow down the exhaust velocity ¨Tubes that are too large will cause the exhaust gas to expand and slow down, decreasing the scavenging effect¨ Perhaps my 2.5 inch dual exhaust syste, from TTI is just too large for a basic stock 318 with the only modification a 1965 commando 273 AFB four barrel carb and 1966 manifold. My plugs are dry and slightly brown or tan and the inside of the tail pipes are a light gray. The motor runs alright and is easy to start when cold and warm but after a hot soak I usually have to try a second time. Gas mileage with a 2.93 rear end is about 12.6 MPG with mostly highway driving and 10.5 to 11.5 on windy, country terrain. Of course, with the vacuum advance out of order, that may have increased the fuel consumption a tad. I installed a mechanical water temperature gauge and checked intfor accuracy in boiling water before installation. Motor warms up to 190 degrees at a slow idle in a quick five minutes, runs about 212 driving around town for a while but if I stop at a couple of signals it quickly hits 220. But the underhood temp is what seems so uncomfortable to me.

Water pump flow is poor? Radiator flow is poor? Fan blade angles wrong? Bad viscous clutch on the fan (if it has one)? The exhaust problem you discuss may add to it.

I seem to have cooled thihgs down a bit. I am not sure which of the below helped the most. a) the collant was almost 100 percent anti freeze, I lowered the mix to about 75 percent water, living in Baja Califonia Sur now I need all the help I can get. I looked for some ¨water wetter¨but could not locate any here. b) my vacuum advance was out of service, I found a stock replacement stamped 11.5 c) when my wife mentioned she smelled gas I sterted checking the stock factory AFB which had all of the screws on the
top loose, I wonder if the speed shop owner who rebuilt it for me forget to do a final snug of the screws (I have put over 1000 miles on the motor since the carb was installed. I wonder if the loose top to the carb would have caused a leaner mixture?

those carter can almost run without the top on, unlikely BUT the rods may not be pulling down (leaning) all the way if the top wasnt airtight around the rod piston vaccum passages at idle. 700 is HOT! Water wetter is very close to detergent, reduces the surface tension of water so it sticks closer to the cylinders...try a tablespoon of Calgon auto dishwasher (non foaming) detergent. Poor combustion can also force unburned fuel into the manifolds where it cooks off. Lean is just a very hot exhaust gas. Get the carb straightened out first and the temps should stabilize to normal. Oh yes, forgot that your steering column seal is probably long gone too. Either pay big bucks for the rubber seal or hollow out a skateboard wheel to 3/4 ID and turn it down to the ID of the column tube, (2.125??) cut in half and press the 2 halves up in there with plenty of grease on the steering shaft.

-
Back