65 Barracuda fender tag help

-

Curbweight

Reaction score
I am looking at a ’65 Barracuda, black on black with V8, auto and 75,000+ miles. Nice car that has been repainted with some restoration. This is a dealer car that was gotten as part of an estate purchase. Issue. The fender tag shows gold on gold. All other data matches up. There is no way this car was originally gold. Fender tag is different color, not the matching black paint over. Is there a reasonable explanation for this, or is this a big red flag? Dealer doesn’t know.
Thanks for any thoughts.

can you please post a picture of the fender tag? I can decode it for you.

Thanks 65goldcuda,
Photo attached. Just does not make sense as good as the black all around paint looks. Maybe has to do with restoration, or not.
Thanks again.

Attachments

• Fender tag.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 247
Big red flag, there is no way to identify if that tag goes with that car. But if it's nice and priced right go for it.

there is no way to identify if that tag goes with that car

Not true, if the SO # on the data plate matches the # stamped on the rad core support it should be the right one. Probable some innocent explanation, they just painted the data plate a different color, maybe they were going to paint car red but changed their minds.

looks like a gold/gold to me, but the SO number (C13= Dec 13 date) may not match chassis (different tag) , its on the top of the rad support driver side just inboard of the edge of the zinc grill. If its not there, its under some paint. My paint code is NN4BB (that reads silver poly 4(?) black) but my car was copper (HH1)! SO matches and there is black overspray on the back of the black tag. Where the copper paint was flaking off under the gas cap, it was a light blue looking primer then metal. So I repainted it poly silver...maybe I should add a black stripe to match the code? ;-)

Thanks 65goldcuda,
Photo attached. Just does not make sense as good as the black all around paint looks. Maybe has to do with restoration, or not.
Thanks again.

I am working on this. In order to do it properly..I need the VIN#. What is the VIN#? (Mine is V857203415). I agree with you so far, it looks like that tag was a gold paint with gold interior and bucket seats, with a V8 automatic. So either the car was originally gold, or the tag came off another car. What color is your interior in the car right now? (But I can tell you more with the rest of the VIN)

THanks..

Not true, if the SO # on the data plate matches the # stamped on the rad core support it should be the right one. Probable some innocent explanation, they just painted the data plate a different color, maybe they were going to paint car red but changed their minds.

I agree with this, the SO (sequence number) should be on rad core support (& possibly elsewhere on body). The build sheet would also have both VIN and SO numbers . Chrysler Historical might have some of this but some of their '66 info was lost in a flood a number of years ago.

I have seen this fender tag before, I have a .jpg of it in a file I keep on my computer. If you want originality I would not buy this particular vehicle unless you can verify the SO on the core support.

Thanks for all the input. 65goldcuda, the interior is all black. Seats, dash, trim, carpet.
The Vin is V855135967. California car.

OK, you may already have all this info by now but I agree with pretty much everyone..

But as best as I can tell from here.. http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/ml-osterling65fendertag.html

This tag came from a car that was produced at the Los Angeles Plant, in Dec 13 of 1964 (it is hard for me to read your SQ number from the picture), it had the 273 V8 with auto trans, bucket seats with a center shift console, factory ac/heat.

The paint was the gold poly (AA1) and the trim should have been gold vinyl P4Y. So...like everyone else says...if you have a black interior that doesn't sound like the same car as the fender tag to me.

Just fyi I have almost the exact same Fender Tag as you (and my car is gold, with a gold interior, only I don't have factory AC. ). My car was also produced in St. Louis.

Hope this helps. I would love to see pictures of the car! Good luck!

Matt.

I agree with this, the SO (sequence number) should be on rad core support (& possibly elsewhere on body). The build sheet would also have both VIN and SO numbers . Chrysler Historical might have some of this but some of their '66 info was lost in a flood a number of years ago.

My 64 or 65 has no SO on the Radiator Core, please post pictures.

True statement on the Build sheet

I have seen this fender tag before, I have a .jpg of it in a file I keep on my computer. If you want originality I would not buy this particular vehicle unless you can verify the SO on the core support.

I thought that looked familiar.

Curbweight, I got your PM and would like to help but FABO says you are not allowed to receive PM's? Why I have no idea. If you PM me your e-mail I will be happy to send you a copy of the .jpg file I have.

Thanks,

I have no idea about my status on forum. I find it informative, and I contribute when I can.
Tech wise, I don't understand why I can't get a message. Someone with seniority please advise.

Thanks

-
Back