65 Barracuda front disc brake swap

-

ndoganci

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 65 Barracuda 225 slant6, almost standart with manual brakes and I want to swap front drums with disc brakes..

The only modification I made is to change the rims to 15" with an adaptor for small to big bolt pattern...

As I live in Turkey, it is not easy for me to find a later model Abody donor car with disc brakes and get the required parts directly from it...

I've been reading various threads here and finally decided to purchase a new kit specially made for this purpose...

this one seems to be the easiest swap option

http://www.summitracing.com/int/par...rview/year/1965/make/plymouth/model/barracuda

can anyone give me other ideas ?

thanks and best regards
Naci

I think thats a great value for the money. I assume it comes with the races installed wheel bearings and grease seals. It looks like the only other item you would have to buy is the lower ball Joints. Let us know how you make out.

That is just the 1973+ factory disk parts. For that price, you could buy a Wilwood setup which is much lighter and better (4 pot fixed calipers, instead of single pot sliders).

Look at Scarebird (ebay). Cost ~$105 for brackets you bolt to your existing spindles (different ones for 9" or 10" drums). The other parts are GM & Toyota which may buy locally and not pay exhorbitant shipping to Turkey. Since you are already BBP, you might have new studs installed in your hubs. I think some people have done that, and there is just enough "meat" to drill for BBP. With 15" wheels, no problem clearing the calipers.

Hello,
I used the scarebird brackets on my 72 valiant, and have been very happy with the result.
I used s-10 rotors and calipers, and a manual plymouth master cylinder, if i remember
Correctly. I did convert to 15 inch wheels at the same time, as there was a clearance issue with the 14" wheels.
Braking performance is very good, predictable, and of course no brake fade, compared to the factory drums.
Russ

-
Back