65 barracuda gas fill issue

-
I went through Laysons site and never found anything close
1725066310581.png

No, the '60-'61 caps have the handle bar horizontal, just like the '62-'66 caps…because they are all the same cap—same part number in the factory parts cattledog and all.

Aftermarket caps such as the Stant G-27 were sometimes taken apart by well-meaning DIYers, and put back together with the S-shaped handle installed 90° off from intended, resulting in a bizarre look to the cap when installed. Other aftermarket caps likely look wrong from new or eventually, too; a lot of companies of widely varying legitimacy made caps for this application when the demand warranted.

No, the '60-'61 caps have the handle bar horizontal, just like the '62-'66 caps…because they are all the same cap—same part number in the factory parts cattledog and all.

Aftermarket caps such as the Stant G-27 were sometimes taken apart by well-meaning DIYers, and put back together with the S-shaped handle installed 90° off from intended, resulting in a bizarre look to the cap when installed. Other aftermarket caps likely look wrong from new or eventually, too; a lot of companies of widely varying legitimacy made caps for this application when the demand warranted.
The one on the left is an NOS '60-1 cap 2240319, the one on the right is the '62-6 cap 2074054. Obviously, the clocking of the handle is different.

20240901_110137.jpg

@slantsixdan do know if the "hurricane" style fuel tank cap was a factory item?

I'm not sure what you mean by a hurricane-style fuel cap. If you mean the hinged, flip-open type, then no, that was not available on any A-bodies in North America. If you mean something else, please describe in more detail.

The one on the left is an NOS '60-1 cap 2240319, the one on the right is the '62-6 cap 2074054.

That might be a 2240319 (or superseding 2084608) on the left. I have some doubt as to that red one on the right being a factory 2074054 (which is what both those other numbers supersede to). I did forget about those older two numbers!

But whether the red cap is or isn't a 2074054, I'm stickin' to my claim. I horsed around with enough capswapping on the '60-'62 Valiant-Lancer cars over enough years—including finding a damn-near-perfect OE painted-body/chrome-handle cap on a shockingly original '60 Valiant in a wrecking yard and installing it on both my '65 Valiant and my '62 Lancer to be pretty certain I'm not wrong about this. That '60 Valiant cap fit all three cars (the '60, '62, and '65) correctly, with the handle horizontal when the cap was installed. It wound up on the '62 long-term.

No maybe about the NOS one on the left. I have another half dozen or so, all in their factory Mopar boxes. As for the one on the right, it's correct for '62-6 and fits my 4 '66 models perfectly.....as do the rest of my spares with the same clocking.

20240901_154457.jpg

@slantsixdan do know if the "hurricane" style fuel tank cap was a factory item?
If you're referring to the chrome cap with the black "S" shaped handle, no, that is not an original assembly line piece. IIRC, it's made by Stant who is the OEM, but, it didn't come on the cars when they were new. It's a replacement cap and is similar to the '67-70 version, but, the center is slightly bigger on the later one. I've seen many a filler neck ruined trying to jam that later cap on the early filler neck.

I'm not sure what you mean by a hurricane-style fuel cap. If you mean the hinged, flip-open type, then no, that was not available on any A-bodies in North America. If you mean something else, please describe in more detail.

It looks like this (not mine, lol). Thanks!
Screenshot_20240901_183831_Chrome.jpg

That's a Stant G-27, aftermarket replacement cap. Handlebar came in chrome and black, depending on production date.
I guess you don't know anywhere else to get the fuel filler restrictor/flapper valve?

I guess you don't know anywhere else to get the fuel filler restrictor/flapper valve?
I believe Layson's, per post #27. Part #LA-7526PD1. $12.50. It's the part they use in their filler tube conversions. No pic on his site, so confirm with Rick that it's what you want.

I believe Layson's, per post #27. Part #LA-7526PD1. $12.50. It's the part they use in their filler tube conversions. No pic on his site, so confirm with Rick that it's what you want.
Thank you! I'll get in touch with Rick.

-
Back