'65 Barracuda Interior moldings under rear window

-
Mine are capped off with round plastic plugs.

image.jpg

No caps on mine, but there probably should be…

Well, without the caps you'd have a path for air flow through the flaps. Did you remove the caps? Does it look like there were caps at some point? Just trying to solve the early Barracuda ventilation mystery. I'm starting to think that maybe air flow was too much of a good thing with the early cars, and the factory changed the design to make the flow controllable by having removeable plugs. My car had evidence of duct tape partially covering some of the rear vent rectangles. Hmm, what was that for?

66 had round holes with caps and plastic corner covers. Side panel had a slot for defrost, if not so equipped there was a speaker.

I imagine no one makes that rear corner trim/cover :(

Maybe a wanted add would work

Clifftt: Does your '65 have the two rubber flaps over the exhaust rectangles at the top of the trunk opening?
Yes sir. Used to be black but prior owner painted over them. To be factual, Bob, mine is a ‘66. Before this, I had a ‘64 and I remember them being black. (For this photo, I propped the right flap open just for reference.)

image.jpg

So...as long as I have this thread started, I'd like input on a question my painter has, a small detail, but here goes. For '65 Barracudas, when the security panel is dropped to the trunk floor, is the area that was covered by the panel body color or interior color? In other words, if you are looking in your trunk with the panel down, do you see body color or interior color on the ledge that the panel covers when latched? My car was originally gold/gold, but now will have a black interior, so gold over black. Should the ledge be gold or black?

Edit: There are flat rubber bumpers the panel closes on. Dried out and fragile, they cracked taking them out. Anybody have a source?

Last edited:
I’m fairly certain mine is body color. You can see the original body color under the flap. I also attached a pic of the original outside body color I found under the left turn signal indicator on the fender for comparison…

image.jpg

image.jpg

Clifftt, Yes, the area under the vent flap would be body color. What about when the plywood security panel is brought down, is the painted area that the panel rests against, with the rubber bumpers, is it interior or body color? I'm assuming your interior has a different color than the body.

What about when the plywood security panel is brought down, is the painted area that the panel rests against, with the rubber bumpers, is it interior or body color?
Mine were body color (white originally). So was the entire trunk (black now). Also the floors and the cargo side panels under the black carpet.

My 65 has oval slots and the black flappers in the trunk rain gutter. I'll try to remember to look at the paint color around the opening when the plywood divider is down. My interior is black, the exterior was originally Baby Blue. So it will either be black, blue or red GA mud...lol.

My car will be painted soon, so I really need to pin down the trunk colors. As mentioned earlier, my car came from the factory gold exterior over gold interior (TRM code=P4Y) I am keeping the gold exterior but the interior will be black instead of gold. So, here is what I have gathered about '65 Barracudas with a different interior color than exterior. In my case, I believe the trunk items such as the plastic cover over the trunk latch would be black, the carpet would be black, The plywood drop down panel was black (the side visible when the panel is up and latched and viewed from the trunk, the other side would have black carpet). What about the inside of the quarter panels? Gold, or black? The rear panel inside sheet metal that the latch is bolted to? Gold or black? Bottom of trunk and trunk well. Gold or black? Based on what 65 Cuda 340 says, sounds to me like the factory would have painted these items gold, not black. I'm trying to duplicate what the factory would have done if ordered with a black interior.

Last edited:
I believe that Barracuda trunks were painted body color, just like all other A body Mopars in 65. That includes the floor and the inside of the quarter panels. My original white 65 Barracuda had a white painted trunk. My gold 66 Barracuda had a gold painted trunk. The plastic latch cover in my 65 was black; the cover on my 66 was gold (not sure if it was gold to match the exterior or interior, but I think to match the interior since that is what my 65's cover matched). The trunk side of the fold-down panel was black on both. The 65's trunk carpet was black, the 66's trunk carpet was gold. Since my 65 is red now, the trunk should also be painted red, but I just painted it black to match the carpet since the car is a long way from original anyway. Here's a picture of the trunk floor of the 66 (which I no longer have). The sides have gold overspray on them, but the floor is original paint.

1710536724683.jpeg

Clifftt, Yes, the area under the vent flap would be body color. What about when the plywood security panel is brought down, is the painted area that the panel rests against, with the rubber bumpers, is it interior or body color? I'm assuming your interior has a different color than the body.
I forgot, because the carpet that's in my 65 now doesn't, but the original carpet on it and the 66 wrapped around the ends of the compartment side panels and covered that painted area. The panel butted up against the carpet, so you could not see the metal color (but my 65's was white). This was the original carpet in the 66.

1710537407312.jpeg

I believe that Barracuda trunks were painted body color, just like all other A body Mopars in 65. That includes the floor and the inside of the quarter panels. My original white 65 Barracuda had a white painted trunk. My gold 66 Barracuda had a gold painted trunk. The plastic latch cover in my 65 was black; the cover on my 66 was gold (not sure if it was gold to match the exterior or interior, but I think to match the interior since that is what my 65's cover matched). The trunk side of the fold-down panel was black on both. The 65's trunk carpet was black, the 66's trunk carpet was gold. Since my 65 is red now, the trunk should also be painted red, but I just painted it black to match the carpet since the car is a long way from original anyway. Here's a picture of the trunk floor of the 66 (which I no longer have). The sides have gold overspray on them, but the floor is original paint.

View attachment 1716221944

I notice the plastic latch cover is gold in the attached picture, was the interior gold from the factory as well?

-
Back