65 barracuda no bottom end need opinions

-

challenger57

cuda57
Reaction score
Sit back fellas this story may take awhile. After my 73 challenger burned up I bought this real nice 65 cuda 273 auto 3.23 with nos. what a dog!! Has an edelbrock 600, performer rpm intake, 360 heads small valves and had a comp. 550 lift 244-244 duration solid roller. Fumes could kill a mile away. My shop guy did the computor program and said comp. was about 7 to 1 with those heads. Plan--milled heads .080 also intake side to match intake would get me 9.3 comp. standard gasket. Pistons if I remember .050 in the whole. Pulled cam replaced with comp. hyd. 474 lift 212-212 duration still using adj. rockers. Fumes much better!! 2500 stall. Likes 14 deg int. 38 total timing using vac advance. Even tried 3.91 gears, still won't turn tires when power braking . Re checked lifter preload after breakin and 50 miles running, all good. Has 1 5/8 shorty headers, 2 1/2 ss exhaust, stock size tires. Has 13in. vac at idle, distrib. hooked to port no vac at idle, tried man. vac no diff. Oh I did remove the nos didn' t do much for it. Looking for opinions, my responce might be slow as I am doing this at work and money is short. Thanks All--Mark

Well first off,let me welcome you to this great site.:salute:
We have some of the best of the best tecs here.
And some good folks too.
Do you have a picture of the 65 barracuda we cold peek at.
There is a racers forum that you could get this info out to some of our
tecs hang out in, but some of them are in the dear woods.:blob:
hope you enjoy this great site and good luck with your barracuda.

I had a modified 273 with Holley 3310 carb, Offy manifold, Mallory dual point, Isky springs, Chet Herbert .474, 284 solid lifter cam, 10.5 to 1 compression, fenderwell headers with 2 1/2" exhaust, 3.91 Sure Grip, 4 speed with 10.5" 340 aftermarket clutch & flywheel, open hood scoop, probably other stuff I've forgotten. Ran great, was a real screamer. Wasn't much for lighting up the F60/14 tires though. A 273 is pretty small & doesn't make a lot of torque. But I think you should be able to turn the stock skinny 13" or 14" (whichever your car came with) tires.

Thanks for the welcome, my oldest son tells me I am technology challenged. I will see what he can do for me about pics. It really is a pretty car, kind of a aqua blue green with matching leather interior. Just want it to run better for better sale. Need $ for other project, 63 valiant pro st. 400 twin turbs backed by a 5spd. Thanks for any and all opinions Mark

Here is my 63 I let go 2 years ago.:-s

63 rear view resize.jpg

63g resized.jpg

Thanks for the welcome, my oldest son tells me I am technology challenged. I will see what he can do for me about pics. It really is a pretty car, kind of a aqua blue green with matching leather interior. Just want it to run better for better sale. Need $ for other project, 63 valiant pro st. 400 twin turbs backed by a 5spd. Thanks for any and all opinions Mark
Gotta have pictures of the Valiant. Sounds like a cool combo - love the unusual stuff. Pictures! Pictures!! Pictures!!!

64 cuda I know what you mean about being a screamer, my dad had a 66 coronet with a 273 back in the early 70's. My sis used to run the dog dirt out of it, although she did a few nuetural drops in it. Compression #'s are even all 8 cyl. but are only 120 max. I don't think I have 9.3 comp. like my guy thought it would be. Should have went with a set of closed 273 or 318 heads instead of milling present ones, although milling .080 off did make them closed. Thanks Mark

personally i think it is over cammed still... don't think the 360 heads are helping much either... 273 is a tiny v-8 and very easily over cammed.... what i would do is put the 273 heads back on and put the 273 commando cam and intake on it....

Hey abodyjoe, If I had a set 0f 273 heads I would put them on. As for the cam it is basicly a 340 lift with alot less duration because of the comp/ratio. I have the 400hp 360 that came out of my fried challenger but don't think the old 904 would hold up even though it is fresh. The 273 is original. The 360 heads do give it alot of top end. Keep talking to me people. Thanks Mark

That whole engine combo is screwed up and mis-matched like a blind person shopping in a clown out fit store.

Rethink everything and what you want out of it. Like starting from scratch.
The 273 heads will help alot as well as another cam. Being it is set up as a roller, I would look at OE grinds. Like raiding a Magnum engine cam or there specs.

Or sell the roller stuff for moneys to roll over back into a nice Hyd. set up.

As i stated in my first thread, I changed out the roller for a nice hyd. cam. If I come across a set of 67 or newer 273 heads I'll probably change them. The previous owner payed someone alot of money to build this motor for him and his son. Alot of missed matched parts. Mark

Welcome!

I have a 273 with a Mopar .474/.474 cam, 500cfm Eddy carb, Performer intake,headers, Accel 300+ ignition. I have no clue what compression I'm running but it will lay down some nice posi marks with a little tire smoke floating around. I'm thinking about going with 3.91 or 4.10 gears.

I guess the four speed helps me out but you should be able to spin the tires. I really believe you need to ditch the heads sure enough. Get back to basics and work yourself out to the edge. I believe the 340 cam is more like a .440 lift cam isn't it?

Hey welcome. As Rob said, sounds like mismatched parts. The heads you are using have are big port 360 head. They have very poor port velocity on a street driven 273, plus the cam is to large. And if the pistons are .050 down in the hole you have a low compression motor. I had a 67 273 just like your's and it ran quite well. I had my heads angled milled to a closed chamber with the small 1.78 valves, and a 208 duration Hughes cam. I still have the heads if your interested. Bob

I think you need to get the static compression up to at least, an "honest" 9.5 to 1. A 273 can really work. I had a 273 in a 65 Valiant 4 dr sdn. Jahns 12.5 (nominal) pistons, Crane ss320nc cam and kit(320 adv dur, and 510 lift), Stock rockers and pushrods, LD4B manifold with 700 holley double pumper, windage tray, deep pan, 8 inch converter, 4.56 gear. Would go 12.80's at 108 mph. Tried the 360 heads and slowed down, about 2 tenths.

I think you need to get the static compression up to at least, an "honest" 9.5 to 1. A 273 can really work. I had a 273 in a 65 Valiant 4 dr sdn. Jahns 12.5 (nominal) pistons, Crane ss320nc cam and kit(320 adv dur, and 510 lift), Stock rockers and pushrods, LD4B manifold with 700 holley double pumper, windage tray, deep pan, 8 inch converter, 4.56 gear. Would go 12.80's at 108 mph. Tried the 360 heads and slowed down, about 2 tenths.

Wow that is the biggest cam I've ever seen installed in a 273. I hear ya! LOL!

hey mullinax95, thanks for the reply. The specs and info about the cam 474 lift being a 340 lift is the info comp. cams give on the internet. I also think the 600 carb a little big for my compression. Thought about jetting it down to a 500. Thanks All Mark

I would try to find[I may have] some 273-318 heads and I know its more expensive but I think It'll really perform better with the solid lifter adjustable rockers. 273's came with a solid stick in 64 or 65. Mopar performance sells the cam and lifter package reasonable.I can get the part #'s and stuff if interested. i wouldn't want much for the heads if I can find them!!

fubar, thanks for the reply. I am in the process of seeing if I got my timing marks off when I installed the new cam. Let me know if you find the 273 heads and how much. My zip is 17363, whats yours. I already have an adjustable valve set up, thanks for the offer. When ever I get this thing straightened out I'll post it, if not i'll just drop in the 360 I have. thanks Mark

Mark, save yourself a lot of grief and money and just drop the 360 in there. :) I went through the original 273, then a heated up 318 in my 66 Vart before I finally hit the jackpot and dropped a 360 in there. It's a whole new world out there with that 360. And that 904, if it's built properly, will handle the power of the 360 with no problems. Put a Trans-Go TF-2 shift kit in it and go hunting "the others".

thats a differnt color combination on that 65 looks nice,,like the roll on the seats,,i think they are more 63/64 valiant pattern,,thats what im looking for when i do my seats that big roll and pleat,,,
273,s were solid lifter up till end of 1968,,69 went hydrulic,,im sure that cam is way to big,, not sure about what ever you did with the heads 38 degrees is a bit much for a 273 or most any small block mopar,, if you have a 360 that runs use that ,,,you will need a externaly balanced flex plate,,B&M has them,,jegs summit,, maybe mancini,,but you can make a 273 bark,,,dont think you cant,,, fresh rebuild,,good compression right cam it will fool you,,
after all the factory D DART race car was a 273 that kicked butt..

-
Back