65 cable tranny-converto to slip yoe tailsahft?

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I need a pushbutton SB tranny for the ongoing project. (64 dart s b) local friend found me a guy with a 65 pushbutton SB 904,he tells me it has a slip yoke tailshaft.!??

I havn't seen it nor has he. my questions are: can a slip yoke tailshaft be added. yes I understand you would loss the pace to attach the park cable setup.

OR did someone cut and weld a slip yoke type rear output shaft????? thus keeping the cable type tailshaft? and if so can a rear seal be used that WORKS!???

also, I ne ver have measured but aren't the pushbutton cables LONGER than the floor shift cables???????

I will keep the pushbutton setup as that makes the car what it is but I am changing it to a s b. thanks for any info!!!!

I would fear anything that has been "converted" as I can't think of any reasonable way to do it correctly.

If you want to eliminate the Detroit (ball and trunnion) joint, the most practical way is to have a new driveshaft made with a 4-bolt flange and spline coupling on the transmission end.

don't know bout 904. there was one year--65 -- B body used slip yoke, 727 cable shift did poly 318s use 904 or 727?

maybe you can swap tail housing and shaft don't know

To the best of my knowledge all 65 transmissions are a one year only cable shift slip yoke. I have experience with 65 727's, bb and sb, by not 904's, but I expect the deal is the same with them.

thanks for the info and input. I admit I have a lot to learn about early A cars!.. I pulled a S B cable trunnion 904 out of a 65 cuda to put in my 65 273 cuda I've been piecing back together,

I have a LONG tail shaft 904 trunnion type that a friend gave me, he had NO idea what it was out of???? I wanted to use it in my 63 slant dart, but I would had to change tunnel some and I found a short shaft one for it.

my 65 slant dart has a cable trunnion short shaft 904. but again maybe some of this stuff came out of 64????? I know there is supposed to some internal difference between the what 633,4 and 5???????

I have always enjoyed learning new things, but sometimes the cable deal is a challenge seems like! I do have 65 FSM but getting these things adjusted seems to be a problem.

I understand about the conversion joint, but I have several of these old cars i'm piecing back to life, and the $325 or so for the conversion joint/shaft isn't on my plate. eventually for the 2 SB cars maybe.

I will find ut more about the tranny I asked about to begin with. if its a short tailshaft???? i'm getting the info second hand right now. thanks

I believe the internals are the same up to and including 65. For 66 the rear pump was eliminated, 65 still had it. This is likely the internal difference that you refer to.

Long tail shaft 904? I have only ever seen or heard of one length of 904 which is shorter than a 727 automatic. The 727 is much beefier and fatter and is likely what you are referring to as a long 904.

Yes, so much to learn......heck my information is probably wrong, LOL. Perhaps sometimes else can chime in.

my puter doesn't want to download on a started thread. but actually the longtail shaft tranny I mentioned definitely has a 904 pan! it has a LONG tailshaft for sure! I have NO info on what came in an A100 van or A100 pickum up???? it is a slant tranny for sure too. I would say came out of a slant A100 or slant B body car?????

there is for sale what looks like (from a short distance), a surviving A100 van. been trying to catch the guy home to look i t over just for the sake of info if nothing else. ( O K I admit it, would be a cool project, especially if all there and runs.drives and cheap!) I don't want much?????

I had NO idea as to the condition of that longshaft tranny but I might should have spent more time determining how much I would need to change the tunnel for it. just to know... I did get a good correct tranny from Vdart. thanks too!

To the best of my knowledge, all 904 cable shift transmissions, had a flange on the output. The last year for these was 1965. 1966 was the 1st year for the mechanical shift linkage, and the slip yoke. The difference between the 1964 down and the 1965 trans is the valve body. It had to be modifed due to the change from push buttons to a "lever" style cable shifter. The valve bodies can be swapped.

I do have a long tailshaft cable shift 904, but have no idea what body style it came from. The tail is approx 7 inches longer, and still has the flange output.

PS: Just a FYI. The 1965, 904, is a one year only trans, whether for a slant or small block, though it can be adapted with the valve body swap. A small block cable shifted 904, is either a late 1964 (push button) or a 1965 only floor shifted (cable) or column shifted (cable).

Barbee, the A100s used a very short tail 727 with a weird top mount loop. They did not use a crossmember under the trans, instead it hung from the top. I have three of these A100 transmissions, one in my 67 A108 window van, one from a 68 A100 panel van, and one from a 68 A100 pickup. I thought it was odd that they still used cable shift and trunion as new as 68 on the A100s, but I have been told the A100s kept this setup through 70.

Barbee, the A100s used a very short tail 727 with a weird top mount loop. They did not use a crossmember under the trans, instead it hung from the top. I have three of these A100 transmissions, one in my 67 A108 window van, one from a 68 A100 panel van, and one from a 68 A100 pickup. I thought it was odd that they still used cable shift and trunion as new as 68 on the A100s, but I have been told the A100s kept this setup through 70.

good info. I wish I knew more about the A100 stuff. so I guess that longshaft cable tranny would have to been in early slant B body? I probably would have used it in my 63 dart but it looked like too me would require the tunnel too me modified and then I found a correct trans for it anyway so I pulled it out.

-
Back