65 Commando stock brake set up

-
Now I have found guys here on FABO that have said they used the 151 frame shoe and had satisfactory brakes. (151 is the Phord mud-stain 10x1 3/4 shoe. I haven’t tried it but seems promising. I have compared the 256 and the 151 and they seem to be identical. But appearances can be deceiving

Thanks for all the info. I actually found a set of NOS 256 shoes.
Correct my early built 1965 is Commando sport package 4 speed with 9 inch power brakes matching the build sheet.
Great info. Sadly I don't have a build sheet. I found a very small piece of it under the back seat, the rest is in some dead mouse. I can make out about half a dozen build codes, none seem to be brake related.

So it appears people questioning the car actually being a V8 commando were mistaken. There were 1965 V8's with nine inch brakes, and I think this is one of them. Here's a picture of the set up with just the top springs and hold down pins removed. Notice no push rods, (correct), and perhaps having no star wheel adjust would also be correct. No parking brake cable either, which would have attached to the star wheel adjuster. 1965 service manual shows all these items though, and the shoes on the car have more braking material than the shoes I bought. I bought 9x2 shoes from O'reilly. Says a "433 shoe". Would these be correct for a nine inch drum or do I need to go another direction?

IMG_9732.jpg

Thanks for all the info. I actually found a set of NOS 256 shoes.

Great info. Sadly I don't have a build sheet. I found a very small piece of it under the back seat, the rest is in some dead mouse. I can make out about half a dozen build codes, none seem to be brake related.

So it appears people questioning the car actually being a V8 commando were mistaken. There were 1965 V8's with nine inch brakes, and I think this is one of them. Here's a picture of the set up with just the top springs and hold down pins removed. Notice no push rods, (correct), and perhaps having no star wheel adjust would also be correct. No parking brake cable either, which would have attached to the star wheel adjuster. 1965 service manual shows all these items though, and the shoes on the car have more braking material than the shoes I bought. I bought 9x2 shoes from O'reilly. Says a "433 shoe". Would these be correct for a nine inch drum or do I need to go another direction?

View attachment 1716266412
Not sure on the replacement shoe number but you can buy all the parts for self adjusting.

So how did you "unswedge" them? Lol. Are you saying this is why mine are stuck on? Mine do look like your first photo.
Edit: I was saying it could be the reason, if they look like the first pic try removing the hub with them.
---------

I took the hub off with the drum and took it to the driveline and axle shop down the street and he had a swedge cutter that he used to cut the swedging off the studs, so the drum could be removed.

The cutter looked like hole saw, but had thicker teeth.

I had him replace the studs in the hub at the same time.

Here is a for sale posting of a ten inch from a 65. It has the adjusters you would have.

[SOLD] - 65 Barracuda/Valiant 10" Front brake drums, backing plates, hubs, spindles and beat up caps

Look on rockauto. They sell new parts for the nine inch drums. The brakes on your car would have had the adjusters.

Thanks. I notice push rods that I was told mine wouldn't of had.
I've already bought all the parts I needed on rock auto that were missing. I'll get around to putting it all back together someday.

You are correct. Sorry I didn’t emphasis that it was ten inch so the hardware was not all the same. But finding something to show the adjuster that the car would have. I’m hesitating to use the earlier adjust. I’ve read here in some posts they tend to over tighten. So after it’s you may want to pay attention to that

-
Back