'65 Cuda Fastback

-

eritszack

Reaction score
Well, I'm gonna use this thread as little introduction for myself as well. I'm 16 years old and I live in north Alabama as a junior in high school. Today my dad and I are planning to go test drive a blue '65 Cuda fastback. I talked to the guy on the phone very quickly and I asked for some specs. All he said was everything was in good shape, that it runs well, and he put a new engine in it. I've looked at the car close up and the interior without the seller around as its just parked on the street with the doors unlocked. The interior is in pretty good shape. It has new gauges, new racing seats, and new speakers/cd player. The carpet and dashboard are kind of dirty. There is minor body rust mostly around the gas tank and the paint job is slightly fading. It also has 2 white racing stripes. I will post some pictures up a little later today if I can get some while we are test driving it. He said it costs 5900. My dad thinks this is a little expensive. We are gonna try to talk him down to 5000. Does that sound like a good price for this car? Also, how bad do you think the insurance on a car like this will be for someone my age?

Sounds like a nice set up. Not too sure on the price as they do seem to be going up in price right now. Look forward to some pics of it as I like the 65 Cuda's. Have had mine for 9 years now.

Oh, I just remembered a question I had. Will it likely have power steering and/or air conditioning? I've read things that have seemed to say it won't but all the the things I've read were very unclear about that.

I think 65s still had a/c units under the dash, it should be a visible unit (kinda boxy) mounted to the bottom of the dash. Ive been told 66 was the first year for in-dash a/c units.

$5900 no way! $5000 still seems real steep. id ask for receipt on the engine etc.. but its your $$$ beauty is in the eye of the beholder

I agree- $5,000+ would need some real proof of some good engine work.

As for non-original (racing) seats and a CD player and non-original gauges, this in most people's opinion would bring DOWN the value of the car. You mentioned speakers, are they in the doors with holes cut into the interior? If so, this would also bring down the value to most. On the other hand, I do realize you might not care about originality as most as many of us - so these things might ADD value in your opinion - which is totally acceptable- just want you to realize what your getting yourself into. Thinking of the resale value of a car is also important when buying something.

Whatever you do - find out as much as you can and let us know the details. My first car when I was 16 was also a 65 B'cuda - and the thing I regret most was not finding out more information and making SMART decisions.

As your questions about power steering and A/C - it is much more likely to have power steering than A/C - however IMO the power steering in the old mopars was pretty crappy. Don't worry about manual steering, it will just build you some better muscles.

Thanks for all the great tips. I didnt get to drive/get info yesterday because the guy happened to be out of town. I'm going Thursday I think instead. I'll put up some pics and some information then.

It is really exciting looking for your first car and it's great you are looking for something unique. Don't worry about missing this car because it will not sell very fast. Don't be in a hurry, you need to proceed with caution because the car you describe has warning signs all over it, with major engine work being a big one. Please post some pix... we'll be glad to help you any way we can.

For an actual market value you need to think in terms of re-selling this car to someone else, in other words don't be the only one willing to pay a lot more than what it's worth. Most people into vintage cars want the originally to be mostly intact and the aftermarket parts might be an improvement for daily useage but actually hurt the value.

This car is not that valuable just because it says Barracuda on it. The early '64, '65 & '66 Barracudas are really great cars but there doesn't seem to be anybody willing to spend a lot of money on any of them. Check out the completed eBay auctions for these early 'cudas and you'll see they do not sell for anywhere near $5000, in fact they are lucky to pull $3000. I know it doesn't seem like a lot for a cool vintage car but for $5000 it had better be a really really nice car with no rust, good paint and good interior.

This car might not be the one for you but these early Barracudas are really great cars, especially with front disc brakes, and are very affordable.

Could you take some pictures and receipts would be good to ask for. What motor is it?

Lee

I will get back to you all with that info and some pics on Thursday. So should I just ask for any receipts he has? or specific receipts?

I've seen '65 Barracudas with in dash a/c. I agree that $5900 is a little high for a car in need of paint, I've seen many sell for much cheaper. There's a half decent Formula S in need of some rust repair, paint, engine repair etc but a real nice complete car for $4000 right here -> http://homepage.mac.com/debbiebiggs/Barracuda/PhotoAlbum9.html

I'd buy that before the car you're describing.

Again , it sounds high, but we havent seen pics and we don't know to much about it. They are cool cars and if it's not a rust bucket, you would probably be very happy with it. If that is the car you want, I'd shop around a bit before making the guy an offer.

The car seems to be in better condition than the link of the one you posted 65s. But that is solely from memory. I will try to take some pics before the guy gets back from out of town. Maybe tommorow.

Ya, it's all relative and depends on where you live and what you want. When I bought my car it was priced a little high, but I really wanted it, so I bought it. Now a few years later I'm really glad I got it and the price seems okay now. The early A-bodies aren't as hot because parts availability isn't as great and they're a pain in the *** to put big motors in and have exhaust issues and all that (because they're narrow) but they're really well built and are great cars...their day will arrive soon I'm sure!

I agree with the other guys that the price is too high given the aftermarket non stock stuff.

Chuck

Well I'm sure we could talk him down anyway, it's been sitting there FOREVER. Anyway, I really LOVE the look of this car. Speaking of rust, there is rust by the gas tank. I don't know much about rust... is it removable or can you paint over it? or what?

What do you mean by the gas tank? Underneath where the gas tank is? Or do you mean near the gas cap?

The rust areas you want to check are up underneath where the torsion bars go into the crossmember, just under the front floor pans. That's a common area to rust out. Also check right up underneath the front, behind the wheels/shock...right in behind the shock and upper control arm. Mud and dirt packs in there and the frame will rust there too. Usually the front floor pans are rusty too, most often from wet carpet. Why wet carpet? Because the front cowl/air plenum area is usually rusty...check up inside the drivers side air vent. Reach right up and feel the metal up there. Lift the rubber around the lower part corners of the windshield if you can and look for rust in there too.

Rust around the gas cap isn't really a problem if it's just surface rust. If it's rusted right through it's a lot easier to fix than the areas I've described too.

Don't get caught with problems like this Barracuda here has!

022car28.jpg

Buy this little Valiant for $4500 and you'll be way ahead of the game without rust issues and you'll have most of the original equipment and not be buying someone elses headache -> http://www.hispeedcustoms.com/IMAGES/CARS/65valiant/index.htm

Or here's a decent 1964 Barracuda for $4000-> http://www.cars-on-line.com/25188.html

Or a nice '66 for $6500 -> http://www.classyauto.com/v/used/Plymouth+Barracuda/Formula+S/24186

Or another Valiant for only $1700 -> http://www.americandreamcars.com/1965valiant.htm

A 1964 Custom Barracuda going cheap so far on ebay -> item #330113754178

A pretty decent project 1965 for $2200 -> ebay #180108334363

All depends where you live I guess.

hmm none of those are even close to my area :-/. Ill see how the rust looks. Ill be sure to check all those spots. I'm going up there tomorrow after school to take pictures.

Or here's a decent 1964 Barracuda for $4000-> http://www.cars-on-line.com/25188.html

That one's about 20 miles away from me. I called about it and he lowered the price to 3000/obo. Has some fiberglass in it. He chucked the front seats because they were worn out and has a Mitsu seat in it to move it around. :wack: Floor and trunk rot, needs whole new interior. Sounds like a good donor car but not worth 3k.

The pictures make it look pretty good...how deceiving. iritszack, it's up to you. don't let us discourage you. We're just trying to make sure you don't get stung first time buying a classic car. If the car's good, then the asking price is worth it because any of these other cars would cost you $1000-1500 to ship to your location. Just be skeptical of a flashy paint job with bad car underneath.

-
Back