65 Cuda front frame rail measurements

-

BBachert

Reaction score
I know this is going to sound stupid, but my car is in Las Vegas and I'm in NorCal working. Can anyone tell me the center to center width between the front frame rails on a 65 A bod?
I've dropped a 3rd gen into it and need to drop the tube axle for Milodon pan clearance. I'm trying to find out if a mid-sixties Dodge van drop axle has the same leaf width as my Cuda.
Anybody have a clue or the time to run a tape across for accurate measurements? I've searched for days on the web and just can't find a flippin' thing.....
thanks

OK Bach, heres some dims for you.

Center to center in front of the upper A arm mounting location= 30"

Outside to outside in the same spot= 33"

Inside to inside at the same spot= 28 1/2" (right at the flat of the Upper A support)
27" at the flange just forward of the A

Behind the Upper A support..............

Center to center=31"
Outside to outside=33".

Included are pics in order of the dims taken above. Hope this helps, Geof

Attachments

• 100_3650.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 160
  • 100_3651.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 171
  • 100_3654.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 177
  • 100_3655.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 156
  • 100_3652.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 150
  • 100_3653.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 153
Some one buy Geof a steak and egg breakfast this morning
BB will be happy to see this when he logs in cosgig :cheers:

Geof,
That is the same leaf mount spacing on a mid-sixties van axle. I guess they were being consistent back in the day as they were looking for mount consistency across the line for engines, etc.
This means it's a go for the drop axle and I am always amazed at the people on this board and how helpful they are. When I hit the wall on something, I always turn here for advice and have never been let down.
I lived in Lawrence near Decatur, Geof, but Pinckney doesn't ring a bell. Were we anywhere near neighbors? When I bought this car back two years ago, my MI buddy had hauled it from WI and done some prep work there so that's where I picked it up from and hauled it West.
Thanks, Geof and I'll post pics of this thing when it's done.
HEMI_CUDA GASSER STYLE
I know the straight axle haters will jump all over me but there's no going back for me. I converted the car to a tube axle in 1968 and this is a done deal so hate away.....it is a "period" survivor and it will stay that way.

Straight axle haters??? Nevah herd uf em!!! Send them to me and I'll lay em' down while you run em' over with your straight axle gasser!!!LOL!! Pinckney is about 20 minutes north of Ann Arbor, and I'm not sure where Decatur is from there, but if you were anywhere in the mitten, we was neighbors!!!

I'm looking forward to the pics too, I'd love to see this puppy of yours!!! Good luck with the project!! Geof

-
Back