65 Cuda questions

-

scorpion1110

Reaction score
Hola-

I Bought Goldie from Goldfish1965. Father daughter project and my wife is going to be involved as well.

I am a Chevy and Ford guy, dont really know mopars.

Have a couple questions on some possible mods on a 1965 Barracuda V8 car with AC

What is the best recommended aftermarket front disc brake conversion, and

Anything quirky that I need to think about if I install a 318 or 360 to replace the factory 273?

Thanks!

360 pan is different. I used the performance online kit, which uses stock type parts.

Hi there.

I also have a '65 Barracuda. I've gone to full disc brakes on my car. There are many ways to do this. You could gather used stock / Kelsey-Hayes parts and do a retro conversion. There are many posts here and elsewhere on how to do this. I went with the Scarebird (www.scarebird.com) front disc conversion and I'm super happy with it. Since you're familiar with GM parts, then the Scarebird option will be easy for you because it uses stock GM calipers. For rears I went to SSBC, but this required a huge amount of conversion - new rear end, new custom axles, custom brake lines, etc. While Your In There, do yourself a favor and replace the single chamber master brake cylinder with a proper dual chamber front/rear unit. I wrote up a post a few years ago how to do this. I'll dig up the URL. If you decide to stick with rear drums, then upgrade them to at least 10" drums. The 9" drums are worthless.

As for the engine swap, you can certainly learn a huge amount here, moparts.com, bigblockdart,com, etc. But I'll give you my experience. The most important thing to know is what your goals are. When I replaced my 273 with a 360, I was told by many that the 360 would just drop in. While the 273/318/340/360 blocks are all LA blocks and very similar physically, there are important changes. I found, and continue to find, that users on Internet forums love to tell you as fact that certain things will just work when experience doesn't bare that to be true.

If you swap from the 273, you'll need to change out your bellhousing, clutch, flywheel (the 360 in externally balanced, the 273 is internally balanced), clutch fork (and pivot), driveline, oil pan, heads, intake, engine mounts (from Schumacher), and then you'll probably be stuck with a low-flow 273 exhaust on a 360 unless you spend another $900 on specialty headers that may or may not fit due to the constricted size of the engine bay. Only TTI or Doug's Headers are likely to fit the bill. I also found that 340/360 is not properly cooled from the stock radiator. So given that the 360 also uses a different water pump on the front of the engine where the input and output are switched from the left and right side of the engine, then you'll also need to either have your stock radiator modified to change the ports and have an additional core added, or find, modify, and install a newer radiator. You'll have fewer issues by going to a 318, but much of the above still applies.

I switched my 273 out after it blew one dark and stormy night because I had been led to believe that because the LA 273 was only made for a couple of years, that rebuilding it would be prohibitively expensive. But I guarantee you that it would far cheaper to have a nice 273 build done up by a reputable shop with plenty of modern adaptations than go through modifying everything else.

Simpler still, if your 273 is running well now than simply leave it be. As I said, it all depends on your goals. The 273 is a great motor, but doesn't get the respect it deserves from many circles.

As for other mods, what are you looking for? Engine mods? Drivability mods? Safety mods? MSD ignition/coil is nice. Better heads, intake, perhaps an Edelbrock 500 for your 273. What do you foresee?

-marcus

318 is a bolt-in replacement, 340/360 has slightly different front mounts, but can easily be done. 360 is externally balanced so it has it's own flywheel 273/318 are neutral balance. Couldn't speak to bell housing or clutch differences.

Exhaust is a PITA on these cars. Good headers are expensive, cheap ones don't exist. 273 manifolds on a 360 make a pretty effective rev limiter.

Disk brakes were optional on these cars and can be fitted with factory parts one of two ways depending on what wheel bolt circle you want to end up with. Lots of info on this site, the search function should provide plenty of reading. BUT since you asked about aftermarket, Wildood is probably "the best."

There you are - replies already.
Great site this - welcome and enjoy it. Lots of great advice - all you gotta do is sort through it to find what suits you.

Hi Scorpion,
If you google "disc-o-tech" there's an article Rick Ehrenberg did for Mopar Action a few years ago that shows you how to upgrade to discs from a mid-70's Mopar A-body. I used discs from a '74 Valiant.
It's what stops my '65 and a great improvement, but you have to go to 14-15" wheels for starters

Welcome aboard, I have been wondering when Goldie will turn up here :cheers:
As you can see we have some of the best of the best tec's here to move your families barracuda forward :thumleft:
A Front sway bar is my next move on my 66 and on to frame connectors.
Things you may want to think about and a great upgrade aswell 8-)
It was hard to see Goldie go, but looks like she found another good home :eek:ccasion: Congratulations on your Early A Body Barracuda :cheers:

Attachments

• Challenger%2520IN%2520NASCAR%2520Cup%2520race%2520017.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 283
Welcome! I am doing a 65 Barracuda as well. I agree with memike in that the sway bar is an easy upgrade for handling. Dual master cylinder is also a huge safety upgrade!
A lot depends on if you want to stay stock looking or if true mods are okay. Be cautioned that some on here are purists and don't like steering away from bone stock, while others say customize til your heart is content.
I am a 273 fan, it is a spunky motor that does well in these cars. Good luck and I will watch this thread develop.

early As are limited to smaller engine bays i have a 340 in 1 i still have fron 37 years ago its sweet and a rocket but getting wore out will rebuild this winter it was a ***** because i changed to a 68 dart drive train 340,727 391 posi but we got it there i had a few we dropped 318 right in with the 904 did a couple more 340s and 360s they are a ***** because no 1 could get them to breath back then and even now figgure 1000.00 for headers to crome tips unless you fab all your own pipe in the long run rebuilding the 273 really is the way to go not just originality but you can make them fly depends on what you want if you can keep the 904 with it tho unless you have a manual the shifter cables can be a ***** when you change to a 727 now you have to deal with chainging or fabing your shiftercable and screw around with the nueteral safty switch those 273 can wind up quik and a 904 can be built tough now

early As are limited to smaller engine bays i have a 340 in 1 i still have fron 37 years ago its sweet and a rocket but getting wore out will rebuild this winter it was a ***** because i changed to a 68 dart drive train 340,727 391 posi but we got it there i had a few we dropped 318 right in with the 904 did a couple more 340s and 360s they are a ***** because no 1 could get them to breath back then and even now figgure 1000.00 for headers to crome tips unless you fab all your own pipe in the long run rebuilding the 273 really is the way to go not just originality but you can make them fly depends on what you want if you can keep the 904 with it tho unless you have a manual the shifter cables can be a ***** when you change to a 727 now you have to deal with chainging or fabing your shiftercable and screw around with the nueteral safty switch those 273 can wind up quik and a 904 can be built tough now

I went with SSBC manual disc set up for my 65 Signet- totally happy- all new stuff- I like it because I can use my stock 14" rellyes with it- or can change to BBP if I want to. I little expensive but I am keeeping this car.... and putting a 340 and 8 3/4 rear

-
Back