65 Cuda starter help.

-

piperdrums

Reaction score
I unbolted my starter, disconnected the wires and the starter is loose. I can't get the starter out of the car. It seems like there is not room to get it out, I have turned the wheel all the way to the right but I just cant seem to het this thing out. I have spent way too much time on this thing. HELP, HELP!

Drop the steering link at the pitman arm if you have to.

Got tired of that dropping the steering link crap. Stick a high torque starter in there. They are half the weight and they drop right out. Have had one in my 65 for years.

I managed to get mine out by flipping it completely around and pushing it towards the front till the nose dropped, then I rocked the steering until it dropped. Got it back in that way too. Then I pulled it in favor of a "mini" starter out of a dakota and it was easy as can be.

I assume you're talking about an 8 cyl. car? When I did mine I had to loosen up the motor mounts and jack the engine up as well as turning the wheel to make room, and it was still a tight fit getting it out.

Drop the steering linkage, remove, and replace with a dakota mini starter

I will be putting my 340 in my 65 Valiant- was 273- will use stock exhaust manifolds-
Can anyone confirm specifically what Dakota mini starter?
318? What year to ask for? Aftermarket part #? thanks, Gib

I managed to get mine out by flipping it completely around and pushing it towards the front till the nose dropped, then I rocked the steering until it dropped. Got it back in that way too. Then I pulled it in favor of a "mini" starter out of a dakota and it was easy as can be.

That's how I do it. Steered to end for maximum clearance rotate starter for maximum travel forward, nose down and out rearward. The original starter is a heavy rascal though. Laying on your back and lifting it to reinstall is as much struggle as removal.
The mini starter does make life easier. Or a slant 6 :)

I will be putting my 340 in my 65 Valiant- was 273- will use stock exhaust manifolds-
Can anyone confirm specifically what Dakota mini starter?
318? What year to ask for? Aftermarket part #? thanks, Gib

Any 96-98 dakota V6 or V8. You will want to try and get an OE one, they will last forever. Nippon Denso makes them I believe.

You don't have to drop the steering link. I've done it numerous times and never once had to drop steering.

Its like a combination lock. After the wires and starter are unbolted pull it out of the bell as you pull it out, rotate about 90 degrees counter clockwise as you maneuver the back of the starter down the only space it can drop out of, then slowly lower it down with a clockwise twist to clear the bendix bumps thru the steering and it will be out. Putting it in is a little easier.

Once u do it a few times muscle memory will take hold and you'll be a pro at it

Edit. I almost forgot, turn the steering wheel all the way to the right... good luck. :)

Hey Everyone,
I finally got the starter out. It was a bolt that holds a bracket to the block to the frame or trans that was holding the starter up, I could'nt get the nose cone out of the bell housing to drop the starter. Once I removed that bolt the starter came right out.

Thanks for all the advise.
Also Dwyane AKA mopar_daddy was a great help. I would recommend using him for any parts you need and is a welth of knowledge.

-
Back