65 CUDA suspension help

-

R0K3_B3aRd

Man with a Master plan.
Reaction score
Just got a 65 cuda and want to upgrade the suspension any ideas? I would also like to change to disc but don't want to spend the grand it cost for a new disc conversion. Any ideas on bolt ons for the cuda? i thnk its 8 front and 9 back if I'm not mistaken. The car is 65 barracuda with original everything. 273 /904 tranny. Not commando. thanks. I have american racing 200s i want to put on car..the front rims are essentially thinner than the rear. any ideas on making them work?

My 64 273 4 speed was 10 in drums all the way around. I'd find a set of Kelsey Hayes original discs, 65-72, for the small bolt pattern or 73 up A or E disc setup for the large bolt pattern. Stock high performance handles very well with at least .87 torsion bars and front sway bar. Use the best MOOG parts and 6 leaf HD rear springs. What bolt pattern are the wheels you have now?

If your 200s are 5 on 4-1/2 you will need to use the 73 up disc A or E brake conversion. Search on here as it has been discussed many times. You will also need to find a way to get 4-1/2 in bolt circle on the rear. Easiest way is to swap an 8-1/4 rear with large pattern. You could also go 8-3/4 with large bolt pattern axles or redrilled axles. Larger torsion bars can make it handle quite well and a sway bar will contribute as well.

The best place to start on these older cars is to get the steering gearbox rebuilt. The years have taken there toll. You should also check for broken leafs in the rear springs and correct if found.

What are your ultimate plans for the car?

If your 200s are 5 on 4-1/2 you will need to use the 73 up disc A or E brake conversion. Search on here as it has been discussed many times. You will also need to find a way to get 4-1/2 in bolt circle on the rear. Easiest way is to swap an 8-1/4 rear with large pattern. You could also go 8-3/4 with large bolt pattern axles or redrilled axles. Larger torsion bars can make it handle quite well and a sway bar will contribute as well.
what cars should i be looking for the disc?

jas, you must be be new to the A-body lingo..

A bodies are; any Dart,Demon.Dart Sport, Barracuda, Duster
E-bodies are; all Challengers and wide-body Barracudas, from 70 to 74.

Go back and re-read the thread. When you find a donor, take everything. The 72 down stuff is different from the 73up stuff. Everything includes the dual m/c,booster, and any/all valving on the brake lines.This is a very worthwhile swap. I especially like the KH-4 piston set-up.

these are the rims I'm trying to put on

Attachments

• photo 3-3.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 160
Best is the 64-72 factory disk setup, but rare parts now. Scarebird is the cheapest and easiest. Need at least 14" wheels for any disk kits. You must know what spindle you have on there now. Might have even been converted to 1973+ style. Stiffer torsion bars would help a lot and are fairly inexpensive and easy to replace. Many posts here.

Best is the 64-72 factory disk setup, but rare parts now. Scarebird is the cheapest and easiest. Need at least 14" wheels for any disk kits. You must know what spindle you have on there now. Might have even been converted to 1973+ style. Stiffer torsion bars would help a lot and are fairly inexpensive and easy to replace. Many posts here.

Scarebird setup works out well. I changed from non power to power brakes when I drove my 66 dart for the first time with that setup. I thought it just took too much leg to stop. I did not give the brakes time to break in tho. Might have been ok manual.

-
Back